All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    black streaks in toliet
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

black streaks in toliet Sign In/Join 
        posted
        what are the black streaks inside the toilet bowl ?

Posts: 26 | Registered: Sep 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Most likely...mildew.

Hard water can cause the ports that allow water to run down the sides of the bowl, to partially clog with minerals. The drips sit on these mineral dams and mildew over time. If you use a Johnny Mop to clean around the underneath rim, it can often show dark/black residue.

Posts: 6864 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        We have very hard water and it often forms streaks or rings in the toilets. Best thing around? Get an old-fashioned pumice stone, sold in grocery or hardware stores by the cleaning supplies. I think the last one I got was in a white box,(about the size of a hair brush), with orange and blue design on it. Put on a waterproof glove and scour those hard water minerals away. Doesn't take much elbow grease and it won't scratch, even though you think it might! I store the stone in with the toilet brush. Just take a half-minute each day to swish the toilet brush around and you should see much less staining of the toilet.

Good luck!

Posts: 90 | Location: Midwest | Registered: May 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I discovered last week that liquid Tide detergent helps soften the water stains in the bathroom sink. I put a little Tide in, filled the sink with water and forgot about it. A few hours later I was able to wipe the sink clean with less energetic scrubbing that I normally would exert.

Might also work for toilet bowls.

Lou, doesn't the pumice stone scratch the bowl?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1743 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        I am also a great proponent of pumice stones and always have one in my cleaning supply. (Pumie is a common brand, available in cleaning isle at hardware, home and some larger grocery stores)
        The pumice should be used on a wet surface or below the water line, (keep dipping it in the clean bowl water during use). It may sound like it is scratching, but is softer than the porcelain of the bowl, and harder than the mineral deposits. Thus is works very well and quickly for bowl rings.

Posts: 6864 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Conrad, thanks for the info. I might try this, although I like the idea of letting Tide do the dirty work for me. Big Grin

Posts: 1743 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Big Grin What ever works for ya!