DIY Message Boards
Instant hot water help

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2791013504/m/7553935477

Oct 14, 2013, 12:38 PM
jayre
Instant hot water help
We have 3 bathrooms and the laundry room on our second floor. We get hot water right away from the faucets in one bathroom and the laundry room. But the other 2 bathrooms, we have to run it for a long time to reach hot. What can I do so that we can get hot water instantly? Hot water tank is in the basement.
Oct 14, 2013, 01:59 PM
Sparky617
You can install a recirculating pump that uses the cold water line to send the water back to the water heater.

Here is one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wat...0426993#.UlwvX1CshJw

There are two types, one installs near the water heater and uses a special valve at the point of use to send the water back to the water heater via the cold water line. The other mounts at the faucet furthest away from the water heater. I installed one under our vanity in the master bedroom. The water is always warm, but not shower hot. The pump shuts off when the water reaches 95F. They also have timers on them so you can shut them off when you don't need instant warm water.

Before I installed this I could run 5 gallons of water out to get hot water for a shower. Now to get shower hot water I'm running about 2 gallons out. The water at the tap is definitely warm enough to wash your hands but still a bit brisk for a shower.

Given your home's design I would steer clear of a tankless water heater design. If you did go with the tankless heater you need a different set up on the pump. You manually tell start the process to get the water flowing and the water heater heating the water. If you install the wrong type you'll defeat the entire purpose of a tankless water heater. It will be constantly cycling on and off to keep the water hot in the pipes. Also, insulating the pipes is helpful with the circulating pumps. It will slow down the heat loss on long plumbing runs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sparky617,

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Oct 14, 2013, 02:38 PM
jayre
I know I sound dumb here but I already have one installed near the water heater which is how I am getting instant hot water in two rooms upstairs. My question is how do I distribute in all rooms?
Oct 14, 2013, 04:35 PM
Sparky617
With the one that installs by the water heater you need to have a special by-pass valve at the faucet OR a return water line. See this page for details: http://www.watts.com/pages/whatsnew/IHWRS.asp

If you have access you can install a loop from from the farthest point in the system back to the water heater. It can actually run without a pump by running the line into the drain at the bottom of the water heater. You install a T fitting into the drain opening, put the drain on one side of the T and the return line on the other.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sparky617,

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.