All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    broken drain on Concrete slab
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

broken drain on Concrete slab Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I just bought my first house about 2 weeks ago and one of the issues I needed to fix was that the drain stopper was broken and no longer there. So in an attempt to replace it I used a drain key to replace the tub drain and after a few minutes of pulling it broke free or so I though. It would spin about 5 or 6 times then stop spinning. I've realized that my drain may not have broken free and instead the drain pipe it screws into may have broken off at the point it connects.

My problem lies in that the house is on a concrete slab and there is no access point. So how do I fix this thing?

Thanks,
        ricky

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ricky Bowersock,

Posts: 2 | Location: Indianapolis | Registered: Jul 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        get a dentists mirror and a penlight. hold the penlight on the stick of the dentists mirror and, first thing, stick it down the drain opening and verify that indeed the pipe is broken. no sense doing a $500 repair for a $6 issue.

if so, your remedy is... break out enough concrete to dig around the pipe, cut it off square, and use a glued (pvc or abs) or clamp (iron pipe) connector to attach a new stub line and floor drain. then fill in the hole with sand, tamp a little, and 2-4 inch concrete mix to complete the repair, matching the thickness of the original floor.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5478 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Ya its def broken. It broke at the elbow where the tub drain screws in not at upper part where is actually screws in but the part that connects that elbow to the pipe. The main pipe however is fine.

Would I need to pull the tub/shower out to fix that or could I possibly access it by cutting a hole in the adjacent room's drywall?

Posts: 2 | Location: Indianapolis | Registered: Jul 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        you are going to need enough room to get two pipe wrenches in there... one to hold the drain line, one to hold the elbow. however you get in there, it's going to be a pretty big hole.

sort of unusual for a fitting to break, I'm wondering about corrosion of the metal under the slab. good time to convert from the elbow on to PVC, using a FPT to PVC conversion fitting, and then glued PVC from there.

if one of the real contractors chimes in on this, forget me, follow their lead.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5478 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Open up the wall behind the drain.
        In most cases you can just pull out the whole ting and replace it from there.
        Open it up and post a picture of what you see.

joecaption

Posts: 17984 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post