All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    Old Radiant Heat
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Old Radiant Heat Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Can someone please identify this old radiant heat. It was installed in 1965 and has a new gas boiler so I'm assuming it's hot water baseboard. My big question is this.. Can this be changed to regular hit water baseboard easily??

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        that's just a fan-forced heater. pull off the cover, and look for pipes. if you have them, you can install low-profile radiators equalling the BTU rating of that big grey thing. whether you would have to move the return pipe is something I can't answer, a HVAC guy could.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5849 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        a close up of the unit's nomenclature sticker/panel
        would tell you all kinds of info.
        but a picture from 20' away tells me nothing, but i think its brown in color

Posts: 4089 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Hard to believe that could heat a room larger than matchbox. Must have been a free bee.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1578 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        i have seen small heaters and ac. in rooms that were added. reason being. the hvac was never upgraded to the whole house after the addition

so, they add a small heater or ac to compensate

side note. i like that fire place, the gold trim gotta go.but i like the rest

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

Posts: 4089 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        wonder if idiots laid the wood floor over heating cuts? typical post-war forced air puts the heat under the windows. 20s houses like the folks' had return air on the outside walls and heat on inside walls, along with no insulation (or a thin layer of horsehair type stuff.)

anyway, that's an afterthought heater, and probably recalled six times since they were made. look for the label after you remove the front panel (shut off the breaker.)

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5849 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Frodo:
        i have seen small heaters and ac. in rooms that were added. reason being. the hvac was never upgraded to the whole house after the addition

so, they add a small heater or ac to compensate

side note. i like that fire place, the gold trim gotta go.but i like the rest

Makes sense then. Big Grin Still an eyesore that a couch can not fix though.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1578 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post