All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    Flushing a water heater
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Flushing a water heater Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Is it ever to late to flush a water heater. Just moved into a place, and the heater is supposedly about 5 yrs old. When it refills and starts heating you can hear the sound like a locomotive. Sure it's minerals.

The exterior of the heater looks good, no signs of rust or leakage.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        there is a drain valve (the net nanny doesn't like the correct term) at the bottom of the heater. hook a hose to it, run that to the floor drain, and crack open that valve for a couple pails worth of water, you need a moderate flow, not something to blow down the wall. a minute or two after it flows clear, close the valve. then open it again briefly and close again to be sure it's not gooped with minerals to prevent its opening again.

you know it's too late when the valve won't open, or nothing comes out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5822 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        The water heater is outside the house, so no worries about the excess. Only concern is the drain valve on there looks like cheap plastic. The opening inside of the valve is small, so doesn't look like anything of size will come out.

Considered taking the valve out and replacing with a nipple & 1/4 turn ball valve. But I'm afraid if I somehow screw it up I will be buying a new hetaer before it's needed.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        It's a plastic valve. The worst thing that ca go wrong by removing it is that you may ruin the plastic threads on the valve. If that happens, then as you say just replace it with a new valve.

We have a lot of minerals in the water around here. I've worked on lots of water heaters where opening the drain valve gets nothing as it's completely clogged. In these cases I'll make sure the power and water is off to the WH then completely remove the drain valve assembly. This is usually enough to open up a drain path.

Jaybee

Posts: 10430 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        I too have replaced that plastic drain valve with a copper hose bib type of set up with great results in my abode.
        While you are at it crack open the T&P valve as I have been taught that this is a good practice as well.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1535 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        careful if that is a premium heater, there are a lot of fiberglass tanks out there. strip out the threads replacing that valve, after of course shutting off the heater, the water, and fully draining the tank, and you've wrecked the thing.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5822 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        hello,,,, before you do anything....if its electric, turn the breaker off. if its gas turn the gas valve off..then,,,,,at the top of the heater, there are 2 pipes, 1 is the cold water into the tank, it should have a valve on the pipe, turn off that valve. . next, go inside the house and open up the valve on your kitchen sink..the hot water side...should be NO water. remove and replace the plastic drain valve on the bottom of the heater
        buy a 6" long x 3/4" brass nipple and buy a threaded brass ball valve at the big box store
        replace the old valve with this...buy a 3/4" ips x hose adapter to fit into the otherr end of the ball valve..to screw a hose to
        drain the heater, out into the yard using a hose...
        fill and flush using the valve on top of the heater to fill with...do it 3 or 4 times.
        the brass T&P valve on the side or top of the heater...LEAVE IT ALONE.. do not crack it open as has been suggested...this is a spring loaded rubber diaphram valve, that if a small peice of trash gets on the diaphram, it will constantly dripp till you shell out $25 dollars to replace it..tip..if it does drip..knock the hell out of it [sharp rap] with a pair of plyers...sometimes that works...

when filling the heater, air will rush out of the kitchen sink piping, thats ok,,,let it do it...you can tell the heater is full when air stops and water flows constant

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

Posts: 4062 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post