All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    Need some drain info
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Need some drain info Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hey all. First time here. Framing in my first basement and I am to the point that I need to figure out my plumbing situation. I'm installing a fairly good sized bathroom. 9x12. Shower, sink, toilet. My main question here is the plumbing is above my head. All the drains and such. How am I going to be able to have a floor drain, waste drain and sink drain all flow uphill? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Dave

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You have two options:

1. Dig out from the basement and tie into sewer line outside the house - assuming that you can do this and keep a downhill run.

2. Install a pump up system. Lots of different systems available that mix a macerator for the toilet with a pump out for all waste water from the basement.

If you don't have much plumbing experience you may want to call a plumber in on this one - definitely at the higher end skill level for the install.

Jaybee

Posts: 10499 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        the amount of head (lift height) is critical to sizing the new macerator, as is the expected flow of material. in most cases, local codes are qoing to require a licensed plumber do this work because it's sanitary, and a crummy installation would let the house's sewage flow into the macerator and overflow it. you are probably going to need a new dedicated electrical circuit for it, too. another permit and inspection.

heck, in our city, you need a permit to take a P-trap off and pick in it for lost rings.

in that regard, I give the ordinance all the respect it deserves Wink

but your case is a class-A bonafide no-fooling reason for professionals.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5866 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        you need a plumber, it is not a matter of just installing a pump...what size is the main sewer line in the house now? by adding a bathroom,,,your main line my not be the correct size. there are codes that need to be addressed here..call a plumber. your job is not diy

Posts: 4089 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post