All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    hot water in one shower, lukewarm in the other
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

hot water in one shower, lukewarm in the other Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have a 60 year old single story, slab foundation, 1,000 + sq. foot house. When we bought it there were two bathrooms. The original, and the sellers had added on a second bathroom. The pipes run through the attic crawl space to both bathrooms. I think maybe the original water supply pipes came up through the slab?

I can take a shower in the original bathroom and the water is hot (I love a hot shower.) I take a shower in the added on bathroom and it doesn't get past lukewarm.

The original bathroom had some plumbing/remodeling work done, they fixed an air knock, and installed Hans Grohe fixtures.

The added bathroom has not been worked on. However I always had the impression the water was hotter in the first bathroom. It is the guest shower so I don't use it as often, but I really noticed the difference the other day.

We live in mild weather California but still the pipes in the attic are certainly cold in the winter and hot in the summer. So probably I don't notice it as much in the summer? When we turn on cold water in the summer it comes out warm at first.

So why does this happen and what can I do?

Posts: 198 | Registered: Apr 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I would guess the guys who installed the new bathroom didn't modify the single-handle faucet (you do have one of those, right?)

they come from the plant set to lukewarm to avoid scalding babies or attracting the attention of regulators. the plumber SHOULD have the customer on hand at completion, and have them test the water. if it's not hot enough, they can adjust the regulator to allow more raw hot water into the mix.

and I bet that adjustment is all you need to do (have done.) usually you take off the handle, and there is an insert piece of plastic you can pull out, rotate a few more notches left, reinsert and test. when you have it right, put the handle back on.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5521 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Okay, your thoughts are completely correct. However I probably didn't explain the situation well enough.

The original (old) bathroom had the airlock noise fixed and new Hans Grohe installed. I believe it has always had hotter water, even before Hans Grohe, air lock fix.

The added on bathroom, done maybe 10 years ago or so, has not had any work done since we bought the house. It has a plain ordinary single handle American Standard faucet. This bathroom is the one that won't give me a nice hot shower?

Posts: 198 | Registered: Apr 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        In that case, you probably have some crud or something partially obstructing the hot water path to that faucet. The most likely place is within the faucet itself.

Even at 10 years old, that faucet could be a scald-free faucet. If so, it will be more sensitive to lime build-up that could affect the temperature.

Jaybee

Posts: 10153 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post