All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    running out of options, kitchen sink clog?!
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

running out of options, kitchen sink clog?! Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have a 1 basin kitchen sink that's clogged.

hooked to a dishwasher.

All other drains work properly and flush...no backup at basement floor drain....all is well.

if i run water, it starts to fill up the disposal and overflow back into the sink after running the water for about 15-20 seconds.

p-trap is clean and it seems the garbage disposal is clean.

I have removed all pvc from p-trap, and past p-trap to where the pvc runs into the wall to the main drain.

this is where the clog seems to be as i ran draino into this line and it backed up.

ran a 15 ft snake all the way into the pipe several times. It did not feel like there were any obstructions

WHen i remove it , there is no debris on the end but a little black sludge.

What could be causing this blockage?

Am I missing something?

curious....if I can get a snake 15ft into the pipe, why can i turn the water on and have it overflowing in 15 seconds? Seems like it would need to take longer to backup if there's a minimum of 15 feet of pipe to fill first.

Could the dishwasher have something to do with this?

I haven't ran it as I'm worried of overflow and backup.

I saw this clogbuster gadget at ace hardware, is that a good tool to try?

any of help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jblay,

Posts: 4 | Location: United States | Registered: Dec 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        If I'm reading your problem correctly, you know that the dishwasher connects to a fitting on the food disposer. Inside the disposer fitting is a plastic plug that must be removed if a dishwasher is to be connected. This plug is removed by sticking a screwdriver or wood dowel in the fitting and giving it a rap with a hammer. The plug will break and if you cant get it out, don't worry about it, the disposer will grind it up. hopefully, this will solve your problem

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nona,

Posts: 2581 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        It doesn't sound like you've correctly diagnosed the problem Nona, the disposal fills up with water when he runs the tap so the problem is down stream of the P-trap and the interconnect with the dishwasher.

jblay,
        Can you follow the drain in the basement or crawlspace from your kitchen? It sounds like the obstruction is beyond the reach of your snake. You may need a longer snake or you could try one of these:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_24344-...ollar%7C1&facetInfo= If you can't see the plumbing, for example if you're on a slab and it is under the slab, it may be time to call in a professional, one that can send a camera down the drain to look for a broken pipe.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 874 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Sparky617,

Yeah I have that rubber bladder tool, but was hesitant to try it for fear of it not sealing properly and making a mess.

Can those bladders work or can they back up and be shot out of the drain line causing overflow? (if connected properly, of course)

Posts: 4 | Location: United States | Registered: Dec 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        If you have the proper size bladder tool it should stay lodged in the pipe. However, it is a two person operation. One person holding the bladder into the pipe until it expands to fill the pipe and the other to turn on the water. If the distance to the hose bib is long I'd be on the phone with the person controlling the water or get a small valve for the end of the hose to control it.

I'd buy something like this to allow you to control the water in your kitchen.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_228712...6page%3D5&facetInfo=

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 874 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Got another problem...

I was able to free the clog with a longer, 25ft snake....running hot water thru it now...thanks for the help and advice, it helped me solve my first problem!!

But I noticed I have a small leak coming from the garbage disposal (see attached pic)

I have this silicone sealant (link below)...will it possibly seal that slow leak?

http://www.gatzies.com/p-57319...ath-caulk-clear.aspx

If not, would plumber's putty seal it?

Looks like I'll have to go all the way around it because with this being a 2 piece design, if I just patch the small leak, it'll probably just worm it's way over to another area and drip down.

leak

posted Hide Post
        from the picture, can't tell if that is the mounting ring for the disposer, or the throat in which the disposer grinds things.

if the mount ring, loosen the jam screws and retighten it. if there is gunk between the flange and the gasket, you will have to remove the machine, use a "magic eraser" or similar cleaner, and reinstall.

if it's a section of the disposer throat, you need a new one. there is a mechanical issue that weakens the disposer shell, and goo can't fix that.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5832 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post