All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    Plumber didn't include any venting in new bathroom
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Plumber didn't include any venting in new bathroom Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I paid a "professional" plumber to put in the drain system for my new bathroom that will be in the shed I'm building. I asked about a vent at the time and he said because it was just a small bathroom that I could use a "faux" vent once we put all the fixtures in after the shed was built. I didn't think much of it at the time because I trusted him unfortunately. Now that I'm ready to move forward with this project (a year later) I thought I'd research a little to make sure all is well before I put the floor in the shed. After a day of reading I've realized that there should definitely be a proper vent line and I'm angry that this wasn't done. At this point, I'm going to do it myself since paying a plumber is not what I'm feeling after the last one.

Any suggestions to where I should put the vent based on the pics? The toilet is tied directly to the main sewer line (partially uncovered toward the outside wall in first pic) and the other 3 drains connect under the toilet (in second pic). Is this easily fixable? Can I add vent without redoing the entire thing?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        This is the second photo showing all three drains converging on the toilet drain

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Susie QZ,

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        did this character actually connect to the drainage system? dig some and see. should have stubbed a vent stack to be completed when the walls and roof went up, seems to me.

if he claimed licensure, call the inspector out there and have HIM call the plumber back.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5494 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        By "faux" vent I wonder if he meant one or more of these.

Posts: 618 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I'm sure he meant the Studor type vent shown by Sparky. This would work fine IF this was an addition to an existing house or IF it did not have a toilet. However, each structure that has a toilet needs at least one 3" vent. As such, you'll need to tie into the 3" line somewhere as you cannot tie into something smaller.

Jaybee

Posts: 10127 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        there is no stub near the wall to attach a Studor vent, either. aren't they supposed to go behind an access panel higher than the fixture, although I've seen one or two under the sink cabinet?

Posts: 5494 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        I was taught that Studor vent has to be "just" a wee bit higher that the highest trap in that room? Correct or incorrect?
        ABS piping is that a regional thing as well? I do not think I ever was on a job that was not PVC..

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        well, it's an opening. airgaps should be above anticipated drain levels. but then, I'm a DIY'er, not a licensed master plumber.

around here, it was ABS that took over from cast iron. now all the funny fittings like tub drains are PVC, and you have to transition them. there were jurisdictions that held off for a long time on PVC.