All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    Hot vs Cold Water not even
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Hot vs Cold Water not even Sign In/Join 
        posted
        In order to get the proper temperature in our shower, we have to turn the the hot water faucet a few times, but cold water very, very little. Hot water heater brand new. Same way prior to new water heater. Water coming out of the hot water side only is extremely hot. Pipes seem to be same size. How can I fix this?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: papatater,

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Is this a dual handle shower faucet? What temperature is your water heater set to? How cold is your cold water?

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 747 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        dual handle shower faucet. As I said, hot water is extremely hot (almost scalding). Cold water is general temperature. Not in any way extremely cold.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: papatater,

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        To me, the next step would be to buy replacement kits for those handles. Turn off the water, remove the existing ones and go to a supplier and buy the replacement parts (take the parts with you to make sure you get the right ones, unless you have paperwork to tell you which ones to get) -- and before installing the replacement parts, make sure there is no left over debris inside the handle housings.

Or depending on the make and model, and year, it might just be as simple as a new gasket at the end of the valve.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

Posts: 963 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Do a test by turning the cold on one complete turn, and time how long it takes to fill a bucket. Empty it and repeat by doing the same with the hot. If the cold is filling faster than the hot something may be blocking the hot water side and a rebuild kit may be in order.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 747 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I think Sparky is on the right track - Since the hot water is hot enough, it must be getting restricted somewhere. Could be at the faucet, could be somewhere else. I'd put the potential clog in order of probably at:

1. The bath faucet
        2. Valve at water heater
        3. Inside water heater
        4. In the rest of the plumbing.

Jaybee

Posts: 10359 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post