All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    Need a new cordless drill for self home project
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Need a new cordless drill for self home project Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I need a new cordless drill however I had a drill for cutting purpose. But I am looking for cordless drill with which I can easily perform self home projects at my own. Which type of drills can be used for home projects? How it could be if cordless drills will be definitely useful? How come about 18 volts "Basic cordless drill" which is with an adjustable clutch to maximize the drill's spinning power and an adjustable chuck which can accommodate drill bits as well as individual screwdriver bits. I want the best reviews about which brand of cordless drills are best to use like Dewalt cordless drills and Makita cordless drills.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        i like the dewalt 18 volt hammer/drill with keyless 1/2" chuck for work on the job
        anything bigger is to heavy. if the 18 volt is to heavy for you get the 14 volt
        but at home i like a 120 volt 3/8 drill with keyless chuck.
        no battery, more torque,
        and i use a milwaukee whole hog with 1/2" chuck for bigger jobs 2" holes thru 4"
        and a black and decker timberwolf with 2 speed 800/1200 rpm clutch and 3/4 chuck for the 6" holes

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I would make sure that any cordless drill that you purchase for home improvement has enough power and torque to handle the projects that you might have in mind. There are some less expensive cordless drills on the market that don't have enough power. Generally anything that has a rechargeable battery and interchangeable bits should work for most projects. Be sure to ask your local home improvement associate since purchasing tools should be a wise and informed investment.

Best of luck.

Retroloco-LJ
        http://fhfurr.com

Posts: 13 | Registered: May 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi leezacooper,

As frodo and others have stated choose one that meets your needs and has the power you can handle to completed the desired tasks.

If your are considering a particular drill you might be wise to check out the reviews of that drill by using Amazon.com where users of that particular tool will post their thoughts and experiences with that device. Just be wary of very long and length reviews as these may be by a professional reviewer who is paid to do so. Weight their reviews after examining the reviews of others. This may help in making your final choice.

Be wary of sales associates at the big box stores recommendations. Their goal is to make the sale and they may have little experience with the tool.

Usually Milwaukee, DeWalt, and Makita are quite good choices in battery power tools.

Good Luck!

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Some people, such as Frodo, are professionals and as such need a drill that will last and serve hard use as well as some abuse. But there are others, such as I, who don't need an expensive drill. What I have been using is an inexpensive, less than $20,18 volt, from harbor freight. It is reversible and has a variable torque. The battery lasts a long time if you don't keep it on the charger all the time. When the battery or drill dies after a couple of years, I just buy another. I use it for both drilling and screwing ( no jokes please )
        Works for me

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nona,

Posts: 2504 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi Hi leezacooper,

nona makes some fine points which are quite correct. If it is a drill you are considering, you might consider looking for one which happens to be both a regular drill and by flipping a switch on it it becomes a hammer drill which is very handy when having to drill into concrete. This features saves you having to buy such a tool at a future date. It also has all the regular features of a regular drill but makes drilling in concrete much easier.

I bought mine with this feature in a kit which included an Impact Driver, both were 18 volt, with charger and a carrying case. Both have proved to very useful and powerful enough for tasks that I do around home.

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post