All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    kitchen sink sound dampening
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

kitchen sink sound dampening Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I bought a hand made copper sink and I would like to put some sort of sound dampening pads on it. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could use that would help muffle the clank. Thanks.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Pieces of cork attached with silicon. 3/8" to 1/2" thick will make a huge difference in the sound.

Jaybee

Posts: 10499 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Thicker, felt type, carpet pad can work too. Silicone caulk is a great attachment source as Jaybee mentioned.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        the spray insulation in a can works good also

Posts: 4090 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Wouldn't the spray (expanding foam, assuming) want to fall off if you attempted to spray it against the underside of the sink?
        Never thought of using it for this purpose, just wondering.
        I could just imagine laying under the sink, and spraying it upwards, and having the whole goopy mess release and fall on ones face. =O

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        unclipping a sink is not a big task,
        disconect water lines, drain, take out and flip over Roll Eyes
        spray the entire sink, remove excess with your knife..when its still workable
        replace sink in hole with a string of caulk around the hole,
        hook up, test
        it will be silent and keep your hot water hotter longer

the higher end sinks that you buy,[elkay, kohler] are sprayed with a thin coat of spray insulation, the cheaper sinks have a 3"x3" peice of foam rubber, glued to the bottom in 2 spots..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

Posts: 4090 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Frodo:
        unclipping a sink is not a big task,
        disconect water lines, drain, take out and flip over Roll Eyes
        spray the entire sink, remove excess with your knife..when its still workable
        replace sink in hole with a string of caulk around the hole,
        hook up, test

In my world...this would be too much work/risk, unless the sink had not yet been installed.
        I still would personally use the cork or other pad on an installed sink.

Thanks for the clarification, Frodo. Roll Eyes
        Wink

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        check out this sound damping on this elkay
        they used both rubber and insulation,
        this is a lustertone sink, $500.00-$800.00 range
        installed this puppy today,

"IF", called to a clients house to sound deaden the sink, i could not just apply rubbertex or cork to the bottom of the sink, being a plumber, I have the knowledge and ability to do things that a carpenter would not do.
        same as if a carpenter were to come to my house to patch around pipe,where the hole in the siding is to large.
        I would cut a square peice of scrap siding, drill a hole in it, split the scrap peice and scab it on to the side of the house.caulk/paint
        but a Carpenter would remove the old siding cut the correct size hole and replace the whole thing
        more work.for him, but done correctly.
        both are accepable pratices,
        one is craftmenship, Wink the other is "get er done" Smile

You being a Craftsmen, would replace my siding...and cuss me for drilling the wrong size hole! Roll Eyes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,