DIY Message Boards
Marey tankless electric eco240

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2791013504/m/3563979077

Jun 01, 2013, 05:14 PM
Thomas P.
Marey tankless electric eco240
I have searched and searched, I'm am still lost. I bought a Marey tankless electric Eco240. I need to know if I made a good choice before I install. I have 3 full bath, dishwasher and washer. Incoming water pressure is 50 psi. Incoming water temp is 60 degrees. I would like to make sure I can supply at least 2 showers at once and maybe a sink. I can't find any reviews on this product nor do I have any experience with them is there anyone that can help?
Jun 01, 2013, 06:49 PM
swschrad
how many circuits, and of what size, does it need? once you know that, you can compare it to other-branded tankless heaters to see what the specs are. the prime OEM builders of water heaters in the US are Rheem and A.O. Smith, and almost all other brands you see in home centers come from one of them. there are sizing and use guides on the websites, once you can cross-reference with a works-alike.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Jun 01, 2013, 11:57 PM
Jaybee
Hate to say it but I don't think you have a prayer of making it work as a whole house unit. Two showers at once will take about 4 GPM. At that rate, the Eco 240 can only raise the base water temperature by 42 degrees. With a base of 60, you will have 100 degree water - tepid at best. And that's not considering if any other hot water is used while the showers are in use. Kick in a dishwasher or a washing machine and you'll be down to 85 to 90 degree water. Not a very pleasant showering experience.

Beyond that, the unit requires three separate 40a 240v circuits to power it up. If you have any large draw electric appliances (Clothes dryer, one or more A/C units, Range etc) then you will need a second 200 amp service to the house to power just the tankless water heater.

Electric tankless are just not suitable for a whole house application - the numbers just don't work. In addition to the above, the cost of operation is more than a conventional gas water heater - much more. About the only area that they can be justified would be if you have a large tub that the tankless unit supplies a a single point-of-use appliance.

Not what you want to hear but I'd be returning it if you can.

Jaybee
Jun 02, 2013, 02:00 PM
Thomas P.
Thanks for your help, ya not what I wanted to hear but better to find out now before it was to late. Thanks for your help it has made up my mind and seriously appreciated.