All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    Routing gas line/ Stove
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Routing gas line/ Stove Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hi all,

I have a newer gas line coming from the garage through the attic and it drops down in the center of what was a wall, but now is open with a kitchen island being built. I'd like to re-route this gas line to make a sideways "U" shape, through a pillar on the side, instead in the center of the open kitchen, then back to the oven. I AM NOT DOING THIS MYSELF. I will be hiring someone, my contractor who's doing some things around my place doesn't do plumbing... so if I hire someone I'd like to know what to expect... any gas plumbing tips would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks...

Posts: 47 | Registered: Jun 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        With the yellow flex gas line being legal to use you can do almost anything. This is a fairly simple project for any licensed mechanical gas guy.

Just expect to pay a premium price, even though it's a fairly small job. Prices vary widely by location but expect about $500 minimum for any gas work.

Jaybee

Posts: 10090 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Dang $500 smackers.
        Would you, or anyone suggest this is a DIY type job? I know how to connect lines and have the gas pipe goop already. I've seen the yellow flex-line, pretty easy to work with. Are there any angels pipes cannot go in, or distance to account for? If not I think I can tackle this myself... but I don't want to blow my house up Smile

Posts: 47 | Registered: Jun 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        A couple of problems with installing it yourself:

1. You cannot legally buy the flex pipe. They sell it at home stores but when they key it in the register will flash a code to check your licensing. Of course, you are also not supposed to shoplift from home stores but if you do they will ask you if you need help loading your merchandise - so they may ignore the register warning.

2. IF you do it yourself and IF there is ever a failure and IF that failure causes damage there is a very good chance that your insurance will not pay if they find out that an unlicensed and uninspected gas line caused the problem.

As far as distance, If I understand you correctly you are simply extending an existing line and not adding any additional fixtures to it...right? If so, then you can keep the same diameter line for the run that you need.

Jaybee

Posts: 10090 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Is this a federal or state law you speak off? Never had a problem with any type of of a gas line product purchase from my usual places of purchases. Maybe they just look the other way....

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1389 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Not sure at what level the law exists although I would suspect that it's either state or federal. Our local code laws are not exactly 'ground breaking' so I'm sure that they are following from a higher power.

Only about 5 or 6 years ago, the flex pipe could only be found in commercial plumbing supply houses. I needed some to instal a gas range in my house and had to have my mechanical guy call it in and let me pick it up. Now, like I said, it's available at home stores but it does get flagged at the register. I was able to purchase it by flashing my GC license, even though I am not licensed for mechanical. I suspect that anybody could buy it from a home store just by saying that they knew what they were doing.

Still, I cannot pull a mechanical permit and cannot pass an inspection of a gas line that I may install because I am not specifically licensed for gas. That rule originates at our local code level.

Jaybee

posted Hide Post
        I too would never tackle gas line installations on a whole house basis. Local building codes would prevent it as well, methinks. Having proper training is paramount. But refitting a gas water heater is not out of ones reach either.
        Flex pipe purchase and installation is common here though. Could be because a certain brand is manufactured in the commonwealth. Heck who knows? This area is rather lax with the building code updates as well. As in very little would ever be completed in a timely fashion without cost over runs that would finish the job at about 50% completion.

Posts: 1389 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        legally a home owner can do his own work without a lisence. but you have to pull a permit to do gas work. or the gas co. wont turn your service on
        and...heres the kickerr... most, if not all plumbing inspectors. before issueing a permit to a home owner will ask a few "key" questions. if you cant answer the questions you aint getten a permit

because a leaking gas line WILL blow your house across town. i STRONGLY ADVISE a pro do it

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        the yellow flex pipe for gas. i had to attend a 8hr class to learn how to put that .....stuff.. together.
        its not as easy as it looks. if not joined/ cut correctly. it will leak.

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I would concur. No trade is as easy as it looks. Years of learning and trial and error. Unless done by someone else during a 22 minute TV show, of course.

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        there is a new upc code amendment on oven gas piping
        for a residental stove
        a cut off valve SHALL be located acessable within 3' of unit
        other words. gotta put the valve in the cabinet next to the oven. so you dont have to pull the oven out to use it
        acessable , not readily acessable,, readily means nothing blocking/in front of/
        acessable means you can install, in back of cabinet and pans/pots can be removed to get to it

so,,drop down in wall behind cabinet next to oven
        stub out, install valve, pipe it backi into the wall, thru the studs and stub out behind oven
        we call it a oven loop drives the sheet rocker crazy

ALL GAS PIPING shall be leak tested for 24 hours with no drop in pressure..minimmum test pressure is 2 1/2 x working pressure

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

posted Hide Post
        I'm thinking many a drywaller will just blow right by it/ When in doubt rock it.