All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    How to remove this drain cover??
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

How to remove this drain cover?? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hi,

I'm trying to unclog a nasty drain in my three-basin sink. I have this plastic thing called ZIP-IT with spurs that's designed to flex around the bends of the pipe. The trouble is, I can't get the drain cover off! I tried an old flathead screwdriver, to no avail. I don't even see any particular seams between the drain cover and the sink - though I know that's not possible. I've attached a picture of the drain for reference. Any suggestions?

Wendy

Posts: 1 | Location: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: May 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Wendy, there's no picture attached. Could you try again?

Is the sink draining at all?

Posts: 1743 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Just remove the drain trap under the sink and clean it out.
        It's that curved looking thing under the sink.
        Make sure to have a bucket under it to catch what little bit of water that will be in it.

joecaption

Posts: 17998 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        there is room on most fixed covers that I have seen to get a zip-clear tool down and hook into a clog. not to bring it up, of course, which is why one outfit is selling them with a bottle of liquid drain cleaner. tickle a hole in there so there is a little flow, and then glop down the bottle of drain cleaner, come back in a half hour or so, and run a sink's worth of hot water down to clear pretty much all of the issue.

removing the P-trap is a surer way... if the clog is solely in the trap, you can poke it out and put the thing back on.

if it's not a hair/lint clog in the P-trap, you would have needed to remove the trap to run a pipe snake into the drain line anyway.

D O N O T put drain cleaner down the pipe if you are going to remove the trap. it splashes and corrodes. it rots your skin and destroys your eyes when it splashes. the gunky drain is now something to be handled very carefully and with protection.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5504 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I had a similar problem, and after I cleaned it out, I bought a sink drain cleaner from www.harborfreight.com (part number 39191) It's a small brush that is on a flexible shaft that fits down the drain. The cost is $3.50 I clean the drain once a week and run hot water down it, since doing this I haven't had any further problems

Posts: 2504 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        to remove your basket strainer
        use 2 screwdrivers, cross them, [like a X]
        insert them into the drain. awnd turn them at the same time, applying pressure against each other
        why you wanna do it this way is beyond me
        remove the trap as others have said.

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post