All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    stripped plastic nuts under sink
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

stripped plastic nuts under sink Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have a basic, probably Fisher Price, faucet in my kitchen sink.

The metal plate somehow became slightly misaligned, not sitting on top of the plastic piece between the faucet and the metal sink basin. It leaks occasionally when water gets in back of the faucet if I'm over zealous with the sprayer.

I have been under the sink several times with several different tools trying to loosen the plastic nuts so I can straighten out the plate.

All I have succeeded in doing is stripping the plastic nuts, I haven't loosened them one bit.

Never knowing when I am upside down under something if righty tighty, lefty loosy, applies doesn't help.

Any advice?

Posts: 198 | Registered: Apr 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Easyer to just remove the whole sink and flip it over, replace the nuts tighted up and reset the sink.

joecaption

Posts: 17987 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Did you use a basion wrench?
        http://www.moen.com/assets/moe...102_2hndlfaucet3.gif

joecaption

Posts: 17987 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        shut off the safety valves under the sink. remove the riser pipes. use a hacksaw blade in a one-ended holder, or a pull saw, to cut one side of those nuts. spread 'em with a large screwdriver in the cut and slide them off. remove the faucet.

get a new faucet and install with plumbers' putty as a gasket. reconnect the water.

congratulations, have a beverage!

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5479 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        swschrad's advice is spot on, split with a hacksaw blade and spread with a screwdriver to remove
        do all this while standing on your head and eatting old dust Cool
        frodo

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi, thanks to all.

My husband and I were pounding on and prying up the top metal plate with hammers and screw drivers. (His idea is always brute force.....we need a bigger hammer!)

We would be a hilarious renovation realities show.

Suddenly we both said at the same time. Lets just caulk it!

So far after hammering down the metal plate we had pried up it has worked.

I almost wished it hadn't.....I am ready to accidentally break the sink and counter top. I would love all new ones.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Apr 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Were you able to straighten out the plates in addition to fixing the leak?

Retroloco-LJ
        http:fhfurr.com

Posts: 13 | Registered: May 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post