All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    Kitchen sink plumbing
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Kitchen sink plumbing Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I am finally finished with my countertops, time for the sink! Any tips or good video links for properly installing the piping and garbage disposal? I've done a bathroom sink from scratch, and installed a garbage disposal before, so I am hoping this isnt too bad.

The one thing I am looking at here is there seem to be a lot of extra adapters/ angles, and little collar pieces on this drainage pipe, which is all I really need help with, hot and cold... no prob. Drainage... Hmmmm?

Posts: 47 | Registered: Jun 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Photo loaded sideways for some reason.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Jun 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        If it's a single hole sink, then it's pretty basic - Gop from the disposal outlet down to a trap, then up to the existing connection on the wall. If it's a double sink, then you have to connect the disposal outlet to the other sink with a straight run that has a 't' in the middle. The 'T' then drains to the existing drain through a trap.

There are many different ways to make this work. I prefer to use heavier schedule 40 PVC from the wall drain for as much as I can run it. I'll use the lighter weight drain parts to get to the 'T' section, then use an adapter to go fro the light gauge to the heavier schedule 40. I just find that that too many of those light duty joints cause problems - especially in kitchen sinks where a lot of stuff gets stored. The solvent weld schedule 40 is much stronger and doesn't move.

Jaybee

Posts: 10452 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        My dream is to patent a plumbers crawler that will adjust to the height of the base cabinet thus allowing the installer a level plane to work while standing on his head.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1550 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        try this..flip the sink upside down on the counter
        and install the faucet and disposal/ drain piping
        then drop it into the hole. all you gotta do is hook the supplies to the stops and put the trap on....
        i use a elkay specialty wrench for the clamps
        takes me about 15 minutes to install complete sink

sink wrench

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

Posts: 4089 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by CommonwealthSparky:
        My dream is to patent a plumbers crawler that will adjust to the height of the base cabinet thus allowing the installer a level plane to work while standing on his head.

Then you can set up a website and post links to your invention and give the spammers a real run for their money. Big Grin

Posts: 1949 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        i would buy it! i am pretty good at laying on my back, arching my back over the kick space and eatting 25 year old dust as it drops in my face
        while you stand there and tap your foot! looking at your watch Big Grin
        yes..thats right, i see you tapping that foot
        i have pur-rif-corner eye vision Cool

Posts: 4089 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Frodo:
        i would buy it! i am pretty good at laying on my back, arching my back over the kick space and eatting 25 year old dust as it drops in my face
        while you stand there and tap your foot! looking at your watch Big Grin
        yes..thats right, i see you tapping that foot
        i have pur-rif-corner eye vision Cool

And while doing all that trying to get a basin wrench on a very stuck faucet...

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1550 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post