All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    Basement Sink Backing Up
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Basement Sink Backing Up Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Good Morning. I am having an issue with the utility sink in my basement. The washing machine empties into this sink and it is very slow to drain. I have tried to snake it and it seems to help for a bit. Latley I have noticed a foul smell coming from the drain as well as what seems like waste water along with dirt or sedimaent backing up into the sink when I do the dishes upstairs in the kitchen. Any thoughts on what can be causing the slow drain as well as the backing up of the drain?

Thanks

Mike

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Are your waste lines connected to a municipal sewer system? how long have you lived in this house? Have the lines ever been professionally cleaned out with the big heavy duty machines? Do the lines back up when you do (1) laundry (2) laundry and dishes at the same time, or (3) just dishes?

Posts: 1899 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        We have been in the house 8 years now. The drain has always seemed to run slow after doing a load of laundry. The Sink and the Kitchen sink and the basement sink seem to be on the same drian line leading to the main drain that feeds into the municiple line. As I mentioned it always drains slow when doing laudry but I only notice the water backing up with dirt/sediment after doing alot of dishes in the kitchen sink.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        get a plumber in there with a big machine snake. if it was just a slow sink drain, I'd say it was the sink drain run. you may have guck in the stack, and possibly roots or a collapsed section of the drain run to the street. with other sources backing into the sink, but not on the floor drain, I'd guesstimate it's between the stack and the floor drain.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5714 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I speak only from experience, not from any technical background, so it's a different perspective than others may share.

You may have some accumulated grease in the drain from the kitchen sink down to the basement. Even if you don't deliberately put greasy dishes in the sink to wash, there's still a little bit of oil and grease in a lot of foods, and that can build up, especially if you do a lot of dishes at a time and there's a lot of water going down through the drain, with the drain narrowed by the buildup of gunk.

One thing to try is pour hot water down the drain, put your hand on the trap and determine if the hot water is going through down into the drain. If the trap is hot but the pipe on the other side is not, it would seem that there's blockage in the trap.

My plumber told me to run hot water in the kitchen sink for several minutes weekly. I do pour off the first water of the morning after heating it, and that seems to help keep the sink clear. It actually worked, very slowly, when I had a major drain rate slowdown and couldn't even do dishes w/o ending up with several inches of slowly draining water in the sink.

Since you also have slow drainage after laundry, there could be some minor blockage in the run through the basement to the main sewer line outdoors as well. So there could be 2 areas of blockage.

Swschrad raised one of the main problems: tree roots. Some trees such as box elders are, to my understanding, worse than others.

In my neighborhood, it's common to see huge piles of dirt on lawns, being moved by heavy equipment, reflecting that someone is getting a new drain laid. Houses here were built in the 1950s and have old drains, as well as a lot of oak trees right in the berm not far from the sewer lines.

In my area it costs about $125 to snake out the drain with a machine, and $350 for a monster size machine (two guys to haul it down and out).

At some point it's worth it just to pay the pros to get it down rather than gamble with backup into the sink.

Good luck.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1899 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post