DIY Message Boards
replacing toilet shut-off valve

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2791013504/m/2553900177

Jun 02, 2013, 08:00 PM
rmila75
replacing toilet shut-off valve
How exactly is a toilet shut-off valve replaced when the incoming water pipe is plastic? I don't really trust this plastic plumbing, but it's what I'm stuck with. I don't see quite how the valve can be removed without just cutting the pipe where it connects to the valve.
I'm curious about what to do if the length of pipe coming from the wall is just too short?
I'm calling a plumber, but I just wanted some feedback from anyone who has done this.
Jun 02, 2013, 08:29 PM
Jaybee
A few variations depending on how the valve is attached to what kind of plastic.

In all cases, you will have to turn the water off to the entire house at the main valve or meter. Then, some shut-off valves use a nut with a compression ring at the bottom - if that's the case then you can simply unscrew the valve from this nut and thread on the new valve.

If it's a Pex or other type crimp fitting, then there could be a problem with having enough exposed pipe as the old valve will have to be cut off.

since you are bringing in a plumber, he will know how to deal with it.

Jaybee
Jun 03, 2013, 08:20 AM
joecaption
What color is the pipe?
Only one I would worry about is if it's Gray.
That would mean it's Quest, which really should have been replaced long ago.
There was class action sutes years ago about it.

joecaption
Jun 03, 2013, 12:12 PM
rmila75
The pipes throughout the house are a beige color plastic. I would say PVC, but I don't know if that's the correct term.
Jun 03, 2013, 01:59 PM
joecaption
Nope, it's cpvc. It's fine to use.
PVC should never be used as a supply line inside a home. Only drain lines.

joecaption
Jun 04, 2013, 09:41 AM
rmila75
Thanks for the info. I did not know there was such a thing as CPVC.
Jun 06, 2013, 11:00 PM
Frodo
cpvc is mainly used on hot water piping. pvc will melt

if its cpvc, the valve is either glued on or threaded on. if glued, buy another valve, take the guts out and replace the old guts with new. or cut te pipe and install a male adapter and a threaded valve
you ned to use cpvc glue. pvc glue will not work

turn off water and drain the system fitrst!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E