All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    leaking shower pan-drain interface
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

leaking shower pan-drain interface Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I noticed some brown streaks on the ceiling below a shower. After some investigation I determined that the leaking was coming from the shower pan-drain interface.

It appears that the membrane opening for the drain was cut too large. The membrane is not properly seated between the clamping drain It also looks like previously, copious amounts of silicone was used to "fix" the problem but has since failed as now water is now running under the membrane

My question is, should I tear the shower floor up and start from scratch, or is there a way to "patch" this and divert water down the drain properly? I was thinking of purchasing additional PVC membrane and adhering with PVD adhesive to the current membrane.

Thanks for the help!

Adam

drain with membrane opening cut too large

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Ripping out the tile floor and existing liner and rebuilding the entire thing with a new liner will work.

As you have seen, patching with silicon will fail.

A different patch, over a larger area with extra shower liner material will likely fail too. It may last longer than the silicon patch - it could possibly last forever. But odds are it will fail.

A shower pan liner works by being a single, unbroken surface that has no seams to leak over time. It's a lot more work, but the only way to fix a shower with a compromised liner is to replace it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaybee,

Jaybee

Posts: 10127 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for the input, Jaybee.

Adam

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        another way to fix this is take all the pan material out, fix all floor/framing water damage, and use one of those Schluter pan kits. I couldn't find one in my usual haunts, so I made a mud pan after a ton of searching the Internet for clues and training. making the pan liner fit and stay was a true experience, but it worked out. a tub of their magic glue helped keep the folded corners in place.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5494 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by swschrad:
        another way to fix this is take all the pan material out, fix all floor/framing water damage, and use one of those Schluter pan kits. I couldn't find one in my usual haunts, so I made a mud pan after a ton of searching the Internet for clues and training. making the pan liner fit and stay was a true experience, but it worked out. a tub of their magic glue helped keep the folded corners in place.

there are 2 ways to fold the corners, one way is with the fold on the inside of the pan,,thats wrong
        the other is with the fold behind the pan, so that any water that drips into the fold will drain into the pan...after fold is made..a single galvinised roof nail is used to hold fold closed, 6" from bottom of shower floor
        the weight of the mud will hold the rest

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post