DIY Message Boards
leaking shower pan-drain interface

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2791013504/m/2483932108

Feb 13, 2014, 09:57 AM
a_johnson
leaking shower pan-drain interface
I noticed some brown streaks on the ceiling below a shower. After some investigation I determined that the leaking was coming from the shower pan-drain interface.

It appears that the membrane opening for the drain was cut too large. The membrane is not properly seated between the clamping drain It also looks like previously, copious amounts of silicone was used to "fix" the problem but has since failed as now water is now running under the membrane

My question is, should I tear the shower floor up and start from scratch, or is there a way to "patch" this and divert water down the drain properly? I was thinking of purchasing additional PVC membrane and adhering with PVD adhesive to the current membrane.

Thanks for the help!

drain with membrane opening cut too large

Adam
Feb 13, 2014, 10:53 AM
Jaybee
Ripping out the tile floor and existing liner and rebuilding the entire thing with a new liner will work.

As you have seen, patching with silicon will fail.

A different patch, over a larger area with extra shower liner material will likely fail too. It may last longer than the silicon patch - it could possibly last forever. But odds are it will fail.

A shower pan liner works by being a single, unbroken surface that has no seams to leak over time. It's a lot more work, but the only way to fix a shower with a compromised liner is to replace it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaybee,

Jaybee
Feb 13, 2014, 11:44 AM
a_johnson
Thanks for the input, Jaybee.

Adam
Feb 14, 2014, 03:37 PM
swschrad
another way to fix this is take all the pan material out, fix all floor/framing water damage, and use one of those Schluter pan kits. I couldn't find one in my usual haunts, so I made a mud pan after a ton of searching the Internet for clues and training. making the pan liner fit and stay was a true experience, but it worked out. a tub of their magic glue helped keep the folded corners in place.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Mar 03, 2014, 07:30 AM
Frodo
quote:
Originally posted by swschrad:
another way to fix this is take all the pan material out, fix all floor/framing water damage, and use one of those Schluter pan kits. I couldn't find one in my usual haunts, so I made a mud pan after a ton of searching the Internet for clues and training. making the pan liner fit and stay was a true experience, but it worked out. a tub of their magic glue helped keep the folded corners in place.

there are 2 ways to fold the corners, one way is with the fold on the inside of the pan,,thats wrong
the other is with the fold behind the pan, so that any water that drips into the fold will drain into the pan...after fold is made..a single galvinised roof nail is used to hold fold closed, 6" from bottom of shower floor
the weight of the mud will hold the rest