DIY Message Boards
Utility sink backflow fun

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2791013504/m/2053984377

Sep 01, 2013, 11:00 AM
petrosorr
Utility sink backflow fun
So it's Labor Day weekend, which naturally means my side sewer has developed a problem. I've got two full bathrooms up the line, and a kitchen sink that also drains into it, and at my basement utility sink – the last point before draining out to the main sewer – there is a severely restricted water flow. Yesterday after taking a shower, I found the the pipe was dripping at the P-trap below the utility sink, so I took it apart and about 3 gallons of water came up.

I ran a snake through the open line, and while a few bits of lint got caught on it (The washing machine drains into this sink), with all my might I could send it no further than about 3 feet. The side sewer is old concrete.

Any tips I could apply this weekend to fix this or prevent further damage are very much appreciated. Thanks!
Sep 01, 2013, 11:17 AM
Jaybee
Sure sounds like you have a main line obstruction somewhere. Sad to say that this holiday weekend will be spent either being VERY careful how much water you are using or spending a LOT of money to gt your main line augured out.

Jaybee
Sep 01, 2013, 11:33 AM
petrosorr
I figured as much. Thanks for your honesty!