All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    Hot water heater, drain or leave alone while on vacation
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Hot water heater, drain or leave alone while on vacation Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I am getting a lot of conflicting opinions about what to do with my gas hot water heater while I am on a two week vacation. The water heater is just over 9 years old, and I have never had any problems with it. I was planning on just shutting off the water to it, and lowering the thermostat. Now I am concerned if the tank springs a leak while I am gone, I could have 50 gallons of water in my mostly finished basement waiting for me when I get home. Should I just drain the tank? Will draining the tank speed up any corrosion in the tank? Thanks
        Thanks

Posts: 1 | Location: Bedford, NH | Registered: Mar 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I wouldn't drain it. Turn the gas to vacation mode and you can turn the water off to the house. I always turned it off in our last house that had plastic plumbing supply lines. This house I just turn off the water to the washing machine when we go away.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Just put it in vacation setting and leave it.

In the future, you may want to install a drain pan with drain under the WH. If you think about it, even if you are home what are the odds that you'll notice a leak in the WH?

Jaybee

Posts: 10148 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        We put ours on vacation setting too. And we turn off the main water to the house, (shutoff house side of the meter). Not only a water heater leak, but a failed washer hose, outside tap, refrigerator line, any plumbing issue could cause damage.

Posts: 6865 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        as others have said vacation setting
        but if your bound and determined to shut it down. then go ahead. turn off gas,turn off water. drain tank.then go and enjoy your vacation
        turn off water to the whole house and drain it
        disconnect all hoses, disconnect ice maker line, disconnect washer hoses
        buy 1 gallon of anti freeze and pour 1 cup into each drain fixture. to protect the ptrap from freezing

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        A whole lot more work if you drain that tank.
        If you do it in the spring your going to have to remove all the aeriators on all the faucets and the shower head and flush out the lines.
        If not there all going to be filled with trash flushed out from the water heater.

joecaption

Posts: 18002 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post