All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    Installing new toilet and shower into existing 1/2 bath
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Installing new toilet and shower into existing 1/2 bath Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I would like to convert my basement into a small apartment for my 18 year old son. Right now I have a working 1/2 bath. I would like to combine shower/toilet into same established drain. I believe that I will have to elevate the floor to make this possible. Any advice? Are there links or YouTube videos on how to do this. Cost is a factor so I prefer to DIM and bring in family to assist. Thanks! Kim

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You will either need to put the new shower up on a platform or you will need to cut some concrete. Even with a platform you may have to do a little concrete cutting to tie in the new shower drain to the existing system.

Your platform will need to be at least 6" tall - and at that you'll still have to chisel out a little concrete directly under the shower drain trap.

Building a bathroom is one of the more complicated remodels. Unless you have some family with experience - especially in plumbing, I would strongly not recommend trying this at the level of using YouTube videos as instruction guides. If you have no experience, consider hiring a plumber to do this part and then finish out the rest.

Jaybee

Posts: 10477 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        pdf file see pg. 36

if i read your post correctly, you are looking to drain a toilet and shower into the same pipe, this fitting will allow you to do that, the shower drains into the side of this tee
        part# 416 is left handed 417 is rh
        to determine the hand...view fitting as if you were sitting on the toilet, shower to the left or right?
        outlet to the left or right

you will need to cut concrete and install under the floor,
        call a plumber

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

Posts: 4089 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Look around on any DIY sites and your going to see far more, I built this basement bathroom and now it will not drain what do I do now, post then look what I built and it works great post.
        I just hate it when I see a bath room built up on a platform.
        Going to need permits for this type work.

joecaption

Posts: 18039 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post