All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    Unpleasant taste/smell in tap water
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Unpleasant taste/smell in tap water Sign In/Join 
        posted
        We've had an unpleasant mineral or musty "earthy" taste and smell in our tap water for the past few weeks. Both cold and hot water are affected. How do I begin to diagnose the source of this problem? We are connected to city water supply and do not use any softener or other in-home treatment system.

Posts: 41 | Registered: Aug 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        First step would be to check with your neighbors to see if they have the same problem. If they do, then there is something going on at your local water plant.

If it seems to be just your house, then first determine if the 'taste' is in both hot and cold plus if it's in every faucet. Old plumbing, especially old galvanized, can gather a lot of build-up. Water heaters can store minerals that can give off a taste or odor. If individual faucets, unscrew the strainer on the faucet tip to see if there is any debris in there.

It could just boil down to old plumbing. I can guarantee that if you have 20+ year old plumbing onf any kind, that if you cut a section open and saw the crap in there - you would never drink out of your faucet again.

Jaybee

Posts: 10419 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        the taste/smell you are tasting/smelling is old galvinized piping...aint gonna go away unless you get rid of old pipe.
        bet the water on the hot side of your sink is slower than the cold side, ..huh?
        ck, your water meter piping...is it galvinised?
        replace with new pvc to house
        if it still smells...keep replacing

Posts: 4041 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        It seems that bad tasting water has been an issue in my area for a few weeks. Something about algae and other substances being stirred up in a reservoir due to temperature changes. (??) I don't know all the science behind it. All I can do is report it to the city water lab.

Posts: 41 | Registered: Aug 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        opps.....blew that one...not enough chemicls in your water
        wanna mess with em? using a bic lighter...wave it around under your kitchen spout to kill germs on the screen
        get a sealed/sanitary specimin cup from your doctor/pharmacy..fill the jar, seal,,take it to your local health department and ask for it to be anialised [sp]
        you will have to look up the department in your local blue/city/gov pages

Posts: 4041 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post