DIY Message Boards
Removal of old teflon tape

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2791013504/m/1693907487

Dec 22, 2013, 10:52 AM
JaniceTB
Removal of old teflon tape
I am changing my showerhead. I was able to remove the old showerhead but not able to remove all the Teflon tape on the pipe. So far, I have tried these methods. Remove with my hand, use fingernails to get into grooves, use a toothpick..no luck. Used a thin knife...no luck Rubbed with steel wool hoping some of it would get into the grooves. Rubbed with cleanser thinking some of the cleanser powder would get into the grooves.

I have read that it is important to get down to the bare metal before installing a new showerhead. I wish there was something I can spray to dissolve it. Is there?
Dec 22, 2013, 11:12 AM
Jaybee
You can try some WD40 and a nylon scrubbie - but frankly there is no reason to do this. The purpose to removing all the old tape is to keep the old from bunching up on the new. However, remnants of the old tape that are stuck on that well will not hurt anything. You have cleaned it already more than enough, put on another layer of Teflon tape and put things back together, it will work fine.

Jaybee
Dec 22, 2013, 11:32 AM
JaniceTB
Thank you! Smile
Dec 22, 2013, 11:37 PM
joecaption
A few swipes with an old tooth brush would have removed it.
Now you have metal flakes that are going to rust from the steel wool and grit from the cleaner in the threads.

joecaption
Dec 25, 2013, 09:24 AM
CommonwealthSparky
Maybe but a quick wipe with a damp rag and taping {I use old school paste} and a quick test and you may be home Scott free. Cool

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...
Dec 27, 2013, 06:59 PM
Frodo
jeeeez.....a damp rag..toothbrush, sponge..

Dec 28, 2013, 06:59 AM
CommonwealthSparky
Awful lot going on in that shower. May end up looking like Curley plumbing in the bathroom, soon to be in the basement. Using that dang "water letter outer" can be dangerous to your health. Big Grin

PS A real hoot watching Wall St types backpedal over Phil's comments. Not really a fan of any "reality" show, including DD. We all know they list writers in the credits. Wonder what they write, a script and plotline methinks. But Phil should have the right to say what he wants and if that affects his TV show, so be it. But he still can say it. As I agree with what he presents on that issue. Others will disagree and that is fine as well.
Have a great last Saturday of 2013, another day closer to spring. Big Grin

Dec 28, 2013, 03:18 PM
JaniceTB
It is fixed. Thank you one and all.
Dec 29, 2013, 08:32 AM
CommonwealthSparky
Razz Joy joy Good to hear.