All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    My lovely basement
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

My lovely basement Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I was wondering if anyone out there knows what I can do here. I have the house from hell, it falls apart faster than I can fix it and I'm getting so frustrated. The most current headache involves my basement. I have a drain in the basement that leads to a leach bed under the house. All of the grey water ends up here and then drains by way of 4 inch pipe into the creek in front of my house. A couple of years ago, the city put in sewer lines and, in doing so, ran over this pip and crushed it. Water of the most foul kind started backing up into my basement so I located the damaged section of pipe, exposed and repaired it as best I could until we can tie it in to the sewer, and filled the drain with hydraulic cement to stop the smell from wafting into the house. All has been well for the last couple years, however, it appear that the hydraulic cement was NOT as versatile as I thought and water has begun to seep though again.

I would not be so concerned except that, because of lean times, my mother and brother live with myself, my wife, and my son and this house only has two bedrooms. My mother has one and my son the other. My brother lives on a large landing at the top of the stairs on the second level and my wife and I sleep in the basement. The smell is getting too much for my wife and I am very afraid for our health. Can anyone suggest any way of resolving this issue, at least until we can save up enough money to tie into the sewer?

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: May 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Why did you not just fix the old drain
        correctly instead of plugging up the drain?

joecaption

Posts: 17998 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        The city is making it mandatory to hook up to the sewer but I was out of work at the time and we couldn't stand the smell. Once we hook up to the sewer, the only water that should be going into the leach bed would be runoff which would mean a lot less water to deal with. And that drain in the basement was not needed anyway.

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: May 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by joecaption:
        Why did you not just fix the old drain
        correctly instead of plugging up the drain?

Completely agree. Sounds to me like something is amiss. Cement is porous and ultimately, even if coated and treated properly some moisture can get through (including that from a sewer) if it pools enough.

You need to fix the plumbing properly for your issue to stop.

Retroloco-LJ
        http://fhfurr.com

Posts: 13 | Registered: May 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        dirty, nasty grey water... or so it becomes in a few days as the skin shed, soap, oil, etc. starts feeding bacteria and molds... is something you are stuck with.

it is time, I think, to drive a sand point or two and pump that nastiness deep into the back yard, the lowest area, and pour clean water into the home base until you're not pumping skunk juice any more. only other option I can think of is to lift or destroy the house, backhoe the sand, replace it, and reset/rebuild.

you still have active cultures in the concrete, and if it gets wet, will still be a little odorous. a regular double-strength bleach mopping will eventually help this.

I am < NOT > a professional contractor, at this point, you really need one's advice. but this is what I'd do if I had health issues from the misuse, chisel a hole near the drain, drive a sand point, and pump out while flooding in at the same rate. it's what they do to clear aromatic poisons out of a superfund site.

moral: you don't put water under the house, folks. you put water AWAY from the house.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5499 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        not expensive to plug a pipe
        dig up the pipe...cost nothing but time
        cut the old pipe into. hack saw $10.00
        go to big box store and buy a cap. $4.00- $6.00
        install cap
        back fill hole
        the cap cost LESS than the hydralic cement??????????

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post