DIY Network

All Projects

TV Projects

    What Do You Want To Work On?

      What Activity Do You Want To Do?


        Available Projects

        Get Results

        DIY Network /

        Message Boards

            DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    trip lever overflow plate
        trip lever overflow plate Sign In/Join 
        hi, i'd like to replace my tub's drain. It's the one that has a big hole, so when i want to keep the water in the tub so my kid can have bubble bath, i had to use the cap and pushed it down. It's getting rusted so I want to replace a with a new one. Went to Lowes yesterday and saw a set "Universal Trip lever overflow plate & stopper" from "Danco" ... Can I use this set to replace mine? the old overflow plate doesn't have a "lever", but it used a stopper. This one has a lever but doesn't have a stopper ... what's that "lever" used for anyway? If I wanted to use the set with lever, is there anything else special i need to do in order to use it? or i can just remove the old one and replace with this new one?
        thanks experts.
        Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Each drain set is a complete kit - and some work differently than others. Yes, any of them should work BUT - installation may require complete removal of all the old drain parts. This can sometimes be difficult due to age rusting them in place and poor access to the back and underside of the tub.

        Depending on how much access you have to the existing drain may determine if you go for a completely new drain system or just find new parts to replace the rusted ones in what you have.

        Posts: 10270 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        yoy fixen to open a can of worms
        heres how you do it.
        buy a tub tool
        buy some plumbers puddy
        buy a waste and overflow
        use the tub tool to remove the drain thing in the bottom of the tub. put puddy on the new part
        replace with new part from your box of waste and over flow
        remove the old overflow from the side of the tub.
        holding the new overflow linkage line up the bolt holes with the holes in the tub. adjust the linkage till the btrass peice touches the bottom of tub. insert it into the hole and jiggle it till it goes dowm tighten the scvrews
        Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
          Powered by Social Strata  

            DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    trip lever overflow plate

        © Scripps Networks 2009


        Posting Guidelines

        • Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
        • No off-topic or off-color postings.
        • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of DIY moderators.
        • No advertising is allowed.
        • Be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
        • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political or religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by DIY.

        Full Guidelines

        For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.