DIY Message Boards
trip lever overflow plate

This topic can be found at:

Jul 22, 2013, 01:24 PM
trip lever overflow plate
hi, i'd like to replace my tub's drain. It's the one that has a big hole, so when i want to keep the water in the tub so my kid can have bubble bath, i had to use the cap and pushed it down. It's getting rusted so I want to replace a with a new one. Went to Lowes yesterday and saw a set "Universal Trip lever overflow plate & stopper" from "Danco" ... Can I use this set to replace mine? the old overflow plate doesn't have a "lever", but it used a stopper. This one has a lever but doesn't have a stopper ... what's that "lever" used for anyway? If I wanted to use the set with lever, is there anything else special i need to do in order to use it? or i can just remove the old one and replace with this new one?
thanks experts.
Jul 22, 2013, 05:58 PM
Each drain set is a complete kit - and some work differently than others. Yes, any of them should work BUT - installation may require complete removal of all the old drain parts. This can sometimes be difficult due to age rusting them in place and poor access to the back and underside of the tub.

Depending on how much access you have to the existing drain may determine if you go for a completely new drain system or just find new parts to replace the rusted ones in what you have.

Jul 25, 2013, 12:06 AM
yoy fixen to open a can of worms
heres how you do it.
buy a tub tool
buy some plumbers puddy
buy a waste and overflow
use the tub tool to remove the drain thing in the bottom of the tub. put puddy on the new part
replace with new part from your box of waste and over flow
remove the old overflow from the side of the tub.
holding the new overflow linkage line up the bolt holes with the holes in the tub. adjust the linkage till the btrass peice touches the bottom of tub. insert it into the hole and jiggle it till it goes dowm tighten the scvrews*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E