All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    Choosing PVC Pipe
        Page 1 2 
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Choosing PVC Pipe Sign In/Join 
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        T8 bulbs have been on the market a few years now but any new jobs involving troffers of any quantity are a no brainer, LED all the way. Even large retros get a LED retro kit install.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1535 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        i did not know they had the retro fit leds
        i have 6 cans in my kitchen, going to change,, thanks for the tip

Posts: 4058 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        To clarify I was talking about 2x4 suspended ceiling troffer lights, the kind you drop into the track and wiretie into place. They make a retro LED kit to replace the ballast & tombstones in use with T12 & T8 bulb units. They attach to the original troffer frame, thus saving install time. And that we learned saves money.

But they do make LED retro kits for recessed cans, say for the billions of 5" & 6" fixtures using floodlites, say Par38 bulbs that have been installed over the years. They plug into the present set up with a trim ring in place and look great. Not wiring to change out. Odd that more advertising is not directed in that direction.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Posts: 1535 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        just a tip with any LED lights... non-brands are almost universally RF noisy, kill radio and sometimes TV reception. us hams hate them. undercabinet LED strips often have a junk power box.

take an AM radio with you to the store when you are checking out those $14 to $35 retrofit can LED sets. jam it between stations, and hold it up to the display light that's running. if it doesn't buzz and squeal, buy them. at those prices, even if they last 20 years, you don't want to get stuck with noisemakers.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5820 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        The project manager on the job told me local building codes no longer allow T8 fixtures to be installed commercially, when working new. That they must be LED fixtures, because of the energy savings involved.
        Could be a regional thing though.

posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by swschrad:
        just a tip with any LED lights... non-brands are almost universally RF noisy, kill radio and sometimes TV reception. us hams hate them. undercabinet LED strips often have a junk power box.

take an AM radio with you to the store when you are checking out those $14 to $35 retrofit can LED sets. jam it between stations, and hold it up to the display light that's running. if it doesn't buzz and squeal, buy them. at those prices, even if they last 20 years, you don't want to get stuck with noisemakers.

I am very brand loyal, spec and use Halo brand cans when ever I have a say. Think they are top shelf. Best or worst part about that is even Lowe's carries that product line.

posted Hide Post
        Span hit the board hard overnight. Oh well.

posted Hide Post
        Spammer bumper.