All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Archive  Hop To Forums  Cooking    cobbler
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

cobbler Sign In/Join 
        Picture of Frodo
        posted
        got a new recipe for a cobbler from my sister in law
        its good
        1 box yellow cake mix
        2 large cans crushed pineapple
        3 cups blue berries, or what ever you want
        1/2 cup sugar
        2 tbls lemon juice
        1 cup melted butter
        1 cup chopped pecans
        large rectangle pan, spray with pam
        pre heat to 350
        drain pineapple,spread on bottom of pan
        mix your berries with 1/4 cup sugar and lemon juice
        pour over the pineaple
        sprinkle cake mix over berries
        drizzle melted butter over that
        sprinkle pecans
        sprinkle remaining sugar
        bake 50 minutes
        i changed this recipe, i omitted the pineapple. cause i didnt have any at the time
        it tastes good either way

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Frodo, this sounds like a good recipe, and easy to make. I think strawberries could also be substituted for the blueberries and would go well with the pineapple. Actually you could take the basic recipe and make any number of substitutions - creates more opportunities to make the cobbler!

It's almost strawberry picking time here in Michigan, so that's an early option before the Michigan blueberries come in later this summer.

Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 1752 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        our black berries and blue berries are ripe and its time to pick.

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        If you have a Dutch oven, Byron has some great recipes. I use these all the time when going on Scout outings.

http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 628 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Frodo, I envy you. Our blueberries won't be ready until late July or August, depending on the weather.

Do you grow your own black and blueberries? What type of blueberries? We used to pick BlueCrop and I think Earliblue. One year my parents picked 90 pounds!

Ummmm...summer berries Smile

Sparky617, now I'm in trouble. I've already found some recipes that I'm going to have to try. I've used Dutch Ovens for years but I never thought baked goods would be appropriate for them.

The Banana Pineapple Cake is really tempting. Looks like I've been missing out on some treats.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

posted Hide Post
        GS
        We do all kinds of things in Dutch Ovens on camping trips and Byron's is my first choice for recipes. Scoutarama has a bunch too.

The scouts have taken to doing "Trash Can Turkey" on the outing just before Thanksgiving. That usually turns over very nice, and the pride in a 11 or 12 year old's face when he successfully cooks a turkey is priceless. If you try trashcan turkey, don't believe the recipe on the interwebs that says it is done in an hour. Count on at least 2 hours. A remote thermometer is highly recommended. If you pull the trash can off early it takes 20 minutes to get it back up to temperature.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 628 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Sparky617:
        GS

That usually turns over very nice, and the pride in a 11 or 12 year old's face when he successfully cooks a turkey is priceless.

And I think that's part of what scouting is all about, building confidence and self esteem.

Are you a Scout leader?

Where do you go camping? Are there camps for Scouts specifically or do you go to public campgrounds?

I was trying to remember what we cooked when we went camping but can only remember that we had a Coleman stove. But these were family outings, and I think we probably had a trailer as well. Long, long time ago.

posted Hide Post
        I was Scoutmaster for 3 years, I'm now the Charter Organization Representative for our Pack, Troop and Venture Crew. My son aged out last October so I stepped down as SM. Three years was enough! He's heading to college in August.

We camp in a variety of places, state parks, scout reservations and private camp grounds. The Troop left for summer camp in Virginia this morning near Claytor Lake off of I-81. The Venture Crew is leaving for Philmont in NM on Wednesday, and some of our older boys are going to Sea Base in Florida later in July for a SCUBA live aboard adventure. I did Philmont last summer with my son and we did a SCUBA Live Aboard at Sea Base the previous year with the whole family. My son and I went to Alaska in 2009 and camped for 10 nights.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sparky617,

General Disclaimer

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Scouting certainly has changed over the years. To the best of my recollection when my father and brother were in scouting there were the scout leaders and assistants. Same for the Brownies and Girl Scouts.

I was a Girl Scout leader for about a year in the late 60's or 70's - long time ago and I don't remember for sure. It was an interesting experience to say the least...rewarding and fun working with the girls, but frustrating because of the limited willingness of parents to participate and support their daughters. So for me one year was enough!

I don't recall that the Boy Scouts ever camped outside of the Michigan area, but then people weren't as mobile then as they are now.

In what part of Alaska did you camp, and during which season? That must have been really fascinating experience.

posted Hide Post
        GS,
        We flew into Anchorage and camped near Wasilla, to Talkeetna up to Denali, Fairbanks & North Ple down the AK-2 along the Alaska pipeline to the AK 1 and AK 4 down to Seward and back up to Anchorage. A lot of driving, it I had it to do over I would have cut out Fairbanks and done less driving and more hiking, kayaking and other activities. We went in July. Lovely state, I can see the appeal of living there in summer, winter not so much.

The Charter Org Rep has been around for a long time, they are one of the "key three" in the unit. Boy Scout Troops are "owned" by their chartering (or sponsoring) organization (church, synagogue, civic group, etc) I act as the liaison between our Pastor and the Troop, Pack and Crew. The other members of the key three would be the Scoutmaster (or Cubmaster or Crew Advisor) and the Committee Chairman. Girl Scouts are arranged differently, the GSUSA approaches churches and schools looking for places to meet, but the church or school doesn't "own" the Troop.

When I was a Scout we ventured outside of PA but we never took a trip to Philmont during my time. Sea Base didn't exist until after I aged out. We'd go to Assateague Island in MD for a week of camping at the beach or venture into WV along the Appalachian Trail. My troop as a youth was very much into backpacking and living in central PA with the AT going right through the region we could hit the trail quite easily in any number of places.

The camp the troop went to this week draws Troops from Florida, Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia and South Carolina all trying to beat the heat of a southern summer. We never go to our councils camp near Pinehurst because it is so bleeding hot and humid in the sandhills of NC.

General Disclaimer

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Sparky, your trip covered a lot more of Alaska than I thought from your initial comments. I assumed you had spent 10 days in the wilderness at one site, exploring in various directions but returning each night to the same camp site.

So you were actually able to see more of Alaska by moving from site to site, albeit spending more time on the road.

What wildlife did you encounter? I assume you saw some bears as well as plenty of hoofed animals? Were any aspects of the camping survival training in terms of limited living off the land?

I wasn't aware of the ownership issues of the Boy Scout organizations. As I recall, the Girl Scouts had a pyramidal type heirarchy, but my contact was primarily with my co-leader, the girls and their (sometimes recalcitrant) parents. One contact initially was with someone at a higher level when I first accepted the leader role, but I don't recall her title.

Owning a troop puts a different perspective on structure and support. Are you dependent on the sponsoring organization for funding? I know some do solicit because my father receives solicitations from his church which also sponsors a troop.

What about religious influence if the sponsor is a church or synagogue?

I just now remembered that Jamborees were other gatherings for various troops, and that troops from different areas attended.

I'm sure your participation is providing a good opportunity for many young men to connect and stay connected to outdoor life, gain somewhat of a sense of self sufficiency, and social life with kindred spirits. IMHO, these are valued qualities which can easily be lost to the lure of solitary contemporary activities.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

posted Hide Post
        Our trip to Alaska was with another troop and it was largely a car camping trip. I'd like to go back and do it more to my liking but I don't have the time or energy to do all the planning.

With the exception of Latter Day Saint (Mormon) Troops and Catholic Troops most Troops have 20-40% of the boys from the chartering organization. LDS Troops tend to be exclusively LDS kids, the BSA is the LDS church's male youth program. Catholic Troops tend to be nearly all Catholic. Once you get past those troops boys join troops where their friends are, or that have a meeting location and day that is convenient for them. Sometimes boys will transfer between troops because they just don't fit in with their original troop. Personality conflicts develop and one boy gives up and moves (ideally) or quits (not ideal).

We don't get funding from our Charter Org, some Troops do. We raise money selling Luminaria at Christmas. The BSA also sells popcorn, but we put that money into an account for the boys to pay for scouting expenses like summer camp, or high adventure camps.

The National Jamboree is starting in less than 2 weeks. This will be the first one at a new Scout reservation in West Virginia called "The Bechtel Summit" funded in large part by a contribution from the Bechtel family. They are typically held every 4 years. Camporees are district or council events and are annual events.

General Disclaimer

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        It's interesting how specific religions support the Scouts. I am somewhat familiar with the LDS troops; they also support their youngsters in a variety of ways with age specific groups. I know for a fact that at least the local troop solicits funds, but I suspect that's just from the LDS members themselves.

It's also very interesting that the Bechtel family contributes to funding for the National Jamboree. I know of course of the corporation's reputation but was unaware the family was generous to charitable causes.

This has been an interesting conversation and sideline to the original topic of Frodo's cobbler recipe. Big Grin