All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Archive  Hop To Forums  Cooking    quiche
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

quiche Sign In/Join 
        Picture of Frodo
        posted
        i just made bacon/swiss cheese/spinach quiche
        and some peanut brittle....yum yum said the big bear!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Proving that "real men" not only eat but make quiche. Good for you for challenging stereotypes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1729 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        i love to cook, my dad and i used to have cook offs
        he would make red beans and rice, then i'd make it
        or steak. or home made stuffed pockets...
        then he cheated... he made chili with deer sausage
        that stuff was good. i could not compete
        had to give him my apron...i have a recipe for a meat rub that took us 2 years to get perfect good on red meat, chicken and really good in vegitables
        if i remember it i will post it for ya next week
        i'm at my moms, shes dieing. heart, lungs, kidneys
        we take her to dialysis 3 x a week. we look after her for 3 days then my sister looks after her for 3 days and a helper looks after her on sundays
        i been up al night giving her neubalizer treatments
        shes having a bad nite. me to

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Frodo, thanks for the insight on your cooking experience. I've never had deer sausage. I assume you make it yourself?

I'd like to have the recipe, but it sounds like you have more important issues to deal with right now. (And I'll share my quiche recipe if you'd like it - imagine, sharing recipes on a male dominated DIY Forum!)

I'm so sorry to learn about your mother. I can relate to everything you've written; been through it with my family, all except for the dialysis.

This is a rough time for your family; please make sure you, your family and your sister get enough rest as caregiving is a physically and emotionally taxing experience. And know that your efforts are making your mother's experience less traumatic because she's with her loved ones. You and your family are special people.

Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Quiche is a wonderful, easy, egg and cheese dish to make (whatever additions are added). I usually throw in any vegetables we might have around. Chopped Spinach and onions are regulars.

DS needs it Gluten Free, so I started making the "crust" using hash browns with a little butter, instead of pastry. We have learned we all prefer it this way.

Posts: 6859 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Conrad, I found a good quiche recipe using rice for crust. I like it; it's a lot easier than making a pastry crust.

Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Rice would certainly work too.
        The thawed hashbrown potatoes sort of stick together well, what would be the "binder" for the rice, or does one just use short grain stickier rice?

Posts: 6859 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I use white (yeah, I know I should use brown) long grain rice and even though I haven't made this in a while, I vaguely remember that some grains of rice don't behave and need to be patted in with the back of a spoon.

It may also be that the egg and quiche mixture seep down into the rice once they're poured over it, and that binds the rice crust. Once it's baked, it doesn't fall apart any more than a pastry crust would.

Interesting - I've never thought of the binding issue. I'm going to pay special attention next time I make it.

Do you use the hash brown patties or make them yourself? I like that idea and think I'll try it. I'm partial to hash browns anyway.

Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        I just buy the frozen loose hash browns in the bag. Just thaw, dry off most moisture with paper towels, and pat into the greased pie or casserole dish. A half stick of melted butter can work well if mixed in, but not absolutely necessary.
        And yes the egg mixture blends right down into the hash browns, but still creates a nice crust. Probably the same happens with the cooked rice.

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        i gotta try the hash brown thing..sounds good
        try this

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Frodo, I didn't realize you were such a cook. We'll have to start sharing recipes!

I'm looking for a good biscuit recipe that doesn't require milk, just water.

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        grand pa an grand ma

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,