All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Archive  Hop To Forums  Cooking    squirrel food
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

squirrel food Sign In/Join 
        Picture of Frodo
        posted
        http:/.html

this is outta this world, grandmas recipe

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Are you sure this isn't a brownie in disguise? Sure looks like a brownie. Big Grin

Posts: 1914 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        its better than a dry ole brownie...picture is a brownie. shhhhhh dont tell no body...shhhh
        maybe they wont notice

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Aw, shame on you, trying to fool innocents! Big Grin

Did you know that squirrels like insulation in wiring, or so I'm told by the telephone folks who have to change out some of the wiring every 10 years or so because the squirrels chew through it?

And of course they do love nuts.

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        must be why they like me!

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Or maybe they just like your cooking Wink.

You haven't been feeding the little furries, have you now?

On a serious note, I've noticed an increase in the type of squirrels in our area, from just the red ones to black, now a beautiful silver and even a rusty color. From 1 to 4 varieties. I guess that means I live in a nutty neighborhood.

posted Hide Post
        mice and rats also love to crawl up into splice cases and hardened telco electronics. nasty smelling nests, so the field techs tell me. and of course they gnaw on everything within reach. our company goes through a LOT of bait packs.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5737 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I've read that mice like to nibble on wiring. That's scary.

Fortunately or not, I've never found a mice nest. Never figured out where the little devils were hiding.

I have discovered that they LOVE chocolate. I found that D-Con with chocolate was an effective bait. The chocolate seemed to bring them out quicker than just the D-con alone.

posted Hide Post
        heck, if it's good chocolate, I might just show up

Posts: 2538 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Nona, I use Hershey's or something of lesser quality for the rodents. Lindt or Ghirardelli and maybe even Godiva are for us humans. The Lindt truffles are delicious.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

posted Hide Post
        squirrels and chipmunks are (heck) on rubber in cars as winter is approaching, too. and the little rats with upgrades raise hob with the last 5 feet of Christmas lights if I run them all the way across the front of the house.

I'm not a chocolate snob, anything is welcome Wink but if it's a nice smooth dark chocolate, I have been known to stray from my carb count.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5737 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I assume you know that dark chocolate is the best kind of chocolate. Seriously, it's been proven to have positive effects (beyond making the consumer feel good).

So stray all you want and compliment yourself for healthy actions.

Picture of crafdragon
        posted Hide Post
        I expected to come here and find a recipe to make for the squirrels to eat! I have recipes for birds but not squirrels and I enjoy making them some good food in the Winter time. Oh Well, maybe next time! But these look Yummy and I love to make treats for people too!
        What's the story Frodo? The picture looks chocolaty but there is no chocolate in the ingredients!! I am gonna try it any how, this got my creative brain going and I want to create treats! Smile

Janet Smile

Rubberstamping makes the world more colorful!!

Posts: 537 | Location: E.WA State, USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Janet, if you really want to attract squirrels, plant some black walnut trees. Squirrels love them! But they'll tell all their friends that Janet's yard is the place to go and you'll have more squirrels than you can imagine.

On the serious side, the Birds & Bloom forum might be a place to find a real recipe for squirrel food.

http://community.birdsandblooms.com/forums/

Picture of travis holmes
        posted Hide Post
        I usually feed them corn in my yard during cold weather. Lately, I can't keep the little thieves out of my dog pans, I think they're eating more dog food than my hounds. I recommend this

This message has been edited. Last edited by: travis holmes,

Posts: 3 | Location: Marrakech, Morocco | Registered: Nov 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by travis holmes:
        I usually feed them corn in my yard during cold weather. Lately, I can't keep the little thieves out of my dog pans, I think they're eating more dog food than my hounds. I recommend this

Caution: the link is probably to Travis' dryer review site, as was the link he substituted for a legitimate link in the Knitting Forum.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        We always called squirrels tree rats as like true rats chew everything they can get at. Having said that we too purchase hog corn still on the husk, at farmer markets to keep those critters away from the bird feeders.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1440 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by GardenSprite:
        quote:
        Originally posted by travis holmes:

Caution: the link is probably to Travis' dryer review site, as was the link he substituted for a legitimate link in the Knitting Forum.

ok,,,i guess i am gullable... i was wondering what he was doing with a dryer...chasing the tree rats and giving them perms?
        that would keep them away!!!

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        ok,,you guys busted me..i did not have a picture of squireel food
        so i used a stock photo of a brownie...
        all kidding aside, try the recipe...that stuff is fantastic
        every time i make a pan full.its gone in a couple of hours