Jul 04, 2013, 07:46 PM
Frodo
squirrel food
http:/.html

this is outta this world, grandmas recipe

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,
Jul 04, 2013, 09:08 PM
GardenSprite
Are you sure this isn't a brownie in disguise? Sure looks like a brownie. Big Grin
Jul 04, 2013, 11:06 PM
Frodo
its better than a dry ole brownie...picture is a brownie. shhhhhh dont tell no body...shhhh
maybe they wont notice
Jul 04, 2013, 11:32 PM
GardenSprite
Aw, shame on you, trying to fool innocents! Big Grin

Did you know that squirrels like insulation in wiring, or so I'm told by the telephone folks who have to change out some of the wiring every 10 years or so because the squirrels chew through it?

And of course they do love nuts.
Jul 05, 2013, 05:58 AM
Frodo
must be why they like me!
Jul 05, 2013, 09:10 AM
GardenSprite
Or maybe they just like your cooking Wink.

You haven't been feeding the little furries, have you now?

On a serious note, I've noticed an increase in the type of squirrels in our area, from just the red ones to black, now a beautiful silver and even a rusty color. From 1 to 4 varieties. I guess that means I live in a nutty neighborhood.
Jul 05, 2013, 11:20 AM
swschrad
mice and rats also love to crawl up into splice cases and hardened telco electronics. nasty smelling nests, so the field techs tell me. and of course they gnaw on everything within reach. our company goes through a LOT of bait packs.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Jul 05, 2013, 01:21 PM
GardenSprite
I've read that mice like to nibble on wiring. That's scary.

Fortunately or not, I've never found a mice nest. Never figured out where the little devils were hiding.

I have discovered that they LOVE chocolate. I found that D-Con with chocolate was an effective bait. The chocolate seemed to bring them out quicker than just the D-con alone.
Jul 05, 2013, 03:10 PM
nona
heck, if it's good chocolate, I might just show up
Jul 05, 2013, 10:28 PM
GardenSprite
Nona, I use Hershey's or something of lesser quality for the rodents. Lindt or Ghirardelli and maybe even Godiva are for us humans. The Lindt truffles are delicious.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,
Jul 08, 2013, 11:12 AM
swschrad
squirrels and chipmunks are (heck) on rubber in cars as winter is approaching, too. and the little rats with upgrades raise hob with the last 5 feet of Christmas lights if I run them all the way across the front of the house.

I'm not a chocolate snob, anything is welcome Wink but if it's a nice smooth dark chocolate, I have been known to stray from my carb count.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Jul 08, 2013, 06:17 PM
GardenSprite
I assume you know that dark chocolate is the best kind of chocolate. Seriously, it's been proven to have positive effects (beyond making the consumer feel good).

So stray all you want and compliment yourself for healthy actions.
Jul 19, 2013, 12:50 AM
crafdragon
I expected to come here and find a recipe to make for the squirrels to eat! I have recipes for birds but not squirrels and I enjoy making them some good food in the Winter time. Oh Well, maybe next time! But these look Yummy and I love to make treats for people too!
What's the story Frodo? The picture looks chocolaty but there is no chocolate in the ingredients!! I am gonna try it any how, this got my creative brain going and I want to create treats! Smile

Janet Smile

Rubberstamping makes the world more colorful!!
Jul 19, 2013, 09:05 AM
GardenSprite
Janet, if you really want to attract squirrels, plant some black walnut trees. Squirrels love them! But they'll tell all their friends that Janet's yard is the place to go and you'll have more squirrels than you can imagine.

On the serious side, the Birds & Bloom forum might be a place to find a real recipe for squirrel food.

http://community.birdsandblooms.com/forums/
Jan 01, 2014, 05:53 PM
travis holmes
I usually feed them corn in my yard during cold weather. Lately, I can't keep the little thieves out of my dog pans, I think they're eating more dog food than my hounds. I recommend this

This message has been edited. Last edited by: travis holmes,
Jan 01, 2014, 07:04 PM
GardenSprite
quote:
Originally posted by travis holmes:
I usually feed them corn in my yard during cold weather. Lately, I can't keep the little thieves out of my dog pans, I think they're eating more dog food than my hounds. I recommend this

Caution: the link is probably to Travis' dryer review site, as was the link he substituted for a legitimate link in the Knitting Forum.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,
Jan 13, 2014, 09:17 PM
CommonwealthSparky
We always called squirrels tree rats as like true rats chew everything they can get at. Having said that we too purchase hog corn still on the husk, at farmer markets to keep those critters away from the bird feeders.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...
Jan 16, 2014, 05:17 AM
Frodo
quote:
Originally posted by GardenSprite:
quote:
Originally posted by travis holmes:

Caution: the link is probably to Travis' dryer review site, as was the link he substituted for a legitimate link in the Knitting Forum.

ok,,,i guess i am gullable... i was wondering what he was doing with a dryer...chasing the tree rats and giving them perms?
that would keep them away!!!
Jan 16, 2014, 05:22 AM
Frodo
ok,,you guys busted me..i did not have a picture of squireel food
so i used a stock photo of a brownie...
all kidding aside, try the recipe...that stuff is fantastic
every time i make a pan full.its gone in a couple of hours
Aug 31, 2014, 03:31 PM
ron45
I think I'll try this one.
Have you tried adding cocoa and substituting the pecans with rice crispies.?