All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Hobbies & Crafts  Hop To Forums  General Crafts    What adhesive will bond glass to glass and be water proof?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

What adhesive will bond glass to glass and be water proof? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I am trying to make a cake plate from some vintage dishes, what adhesive bonds glass to glass and is water proof?
        Thank you

Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Clear exterior silicone caulking is what I would recommend. It will go on milky, but as it cures it changes to clear.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of crafdragon
        posted Hide Post
        I use a glue called E6000 and it works well and holds for years( I actually have not had it come apart on anything I have tried!). I use mostly for crafting but it works on all kinds if surfaces.

Don't think it is gonna hold in the dishwasher, tho I have not tried it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: crafdragon,

Janet Smile

Rubberstamping makes the world more colorful!!

Posts: 551 | Location: E.WA State, USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        believe E6000 is a professional Eastman Chemical cyanoacrylate (aka Krazy Glue with a tie.) that is not going to hold in the long term, probably even if you use a "primer" or catalyzer first.

when I built a few film processing tank lines back in the 70s, I used Plexiglass and cut circles to hold the gallon steel tanks around an agitated water bath. silicone didn't work. not one day. water has to be heated to 85 degrees plus or minus one degree for E4 chemistry. when we went to E6, water had to be heated to 105 degrees plus or minus a half degree, so the water bath was even more critical for the first and color developers.

1-hour epoxy didn't hold for a week.

the chemical spillage into the water bath didn't help matters.

peeled off some samples and sent them to Devcon for advice. they said use 24 hour epoxy, and give it 48 hours before getting wet. rough up the material if possible before applying.

that worked.

the contact points of the glass can be roughed up a little with carbide paper (Tri-M-Ite or plumbers' roll.)

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5820 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        All good advice above.
        We are just guessing here as to what this will be exposed to. I was thinking this might be an outdoor totem type of project. crafdragon might be thinking an indoor cake plate that occasionally gets washed. And swscharad in the water for long periods of time. (Perhaps an adhesive epoxy that attaches or repairs fish tanks could also be used?)

Anyway, I am sure you will find something useful in these answers. It is also a nice gesture to post back and let us know how your project turned out. Wink

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of crafdragon
        posted Hide Post
        All the great knowledge on this board just amazes me! I love all you people who share your knowledge with others, it helps more than the person asking because I come here when I need more info than I have. I am sure there are other people like me and we appreciate all the help on diynetwork.com Thank You for being who you are Smile

Janet Smile

Rubberstamping makes the world more colorful!!

Posts: 551 | Location: E.WA State, USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post