All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Hobbies & Crafts  Hop To Forums  General Crafts    please help, all thumbs, can I make a collage?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

please help, all thumbs, can I make a collage? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I don't scrapbook, I am not crafty.

I have 8 different professional team photos from my grandson's various sport activities. The "routine" basic professional photo packets you get when your kids are on a sports team. The whole team and an individual of your child.

I thought maybe a collage might help combine these in one place. None of the individual photos or team photos is specially meaningful, it would be no lose if parts of the team members didn't make it in the cutting and pasting.

I don't have a lot of room in my house and need to consolidate the many photos, art work, etc, that comes with grand kids.

Is there an easy how to collage? Is my idea even feasible? Any suggestions?

Posts: 205 | Registered: Apr 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Do you have Adobe Photoshop or other high end photo editing program? If you do you might be able to edit out the portions of the photos that don't need to be in the final collage.

Another option is to make copies of the photos at Fed-Ex/Kinko's and hand cut out the portions you don't want (perhaps using a craft tool cutter and a thick backing rather than scissors) and piece together what you do want.

Do you plan to frame the collages once through?

One option our family has done is to take
        portions of photos and mount those photos onto some kind of backer, then place a top mat over it.

These are some examples, but what I have in mind would have much more mat space between the photos so they wouldn't appear so crowded.

http://www.snapfish.com/snapfish/collage

Here are more examples:
        http://www.collage.com/

These really aren't what I had in mind but I just can't find the specific format we've used.

Generally this would look like a large (say 2' x 2') collection of photos, separated by the mat which creates spaces between them for clarity. There's some benefit also to less rigidity in placing the photos, i.e., more random placement can be more attractive.

Collage work isn't that hard once you get started and after you have your basic design worked out. Practice on some magazine pages until you're comfortable with it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1930 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        great ideas, exactly what I was looking for, thanks a lot.

Posts: 205 | Registered: Apr 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post