All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Hobbies & Crafts  Hop To Forums  General Crafts    painting dark fabric lighter?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

painting dark fabric lighter? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I'm working on a halloween costume and need to paint half of a dark blue letterman's jacket bright yellow. It's a lighter weight, felt style fabric not a typical letterman's jacket with leather sleeves or anything, but I need it to be half yellow and I'm wondering if I could tape it off and spray paint it with typical latex spray paint? Would it cover and/or would it make the jacket really stiff and uncomfortable? Has anyone done this before? Please help!

Thanks!

Posts: 21 | Registered: Dec 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I haven't done anything like you've described, but I would have concern about using Latex paint on fabric. I do think it would make the fabric too staff to wear.

There are specific fabric paints designed exactly for that use - on fabric. I've only seen them in small bottles, but that's been the size that I've wanted. I don't know if they would come in larger sizes, but it's possible.

Generally the fabric is painted, and sometimes heat set.

Michael's and Jo-Ann Fabrics and Crafts used to carry these fabric paints, and I'm sure they still do.

You could check their online inventory before finding local stores:

Jo-Ann Fabric & Crafts home page

Jo-ann sales flyer

Michael's home page

Michael's sales flyer

Be sure to test a small inobscure piece of fabric first to see how the fabric reacts to paint, especially felt.

If the fabric won't handle paint very well, the only other option I can think of is to create yellow overlay by measuring the dimensions of the area of the jacket to be covered, creating a pattern, and than tacking the overlay onto the jacket.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1923 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        hack up a yellow construction overvest?

you will never get paint off that fabric again. my choice would be to use acrylic artist paint. I painted a Nikkormat camera on a canvas Leitz bag once, and when I graduated to a Nikon F2, I covered it over with a beige mix of acrylic. lasted well with the flexing.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5761 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Is this is a "one time wear", costume? In other words you are not interested in saving it nor restoring it after the event?

If so, I would then just use any regular latex paint. It is the cheapest fix.

I would use a near white first and then when dry, go over it with yellow (yellow will be brighter and truer color). Cut out cardboard shapes to place in sleeves and keep paint from bleeding through from one area to the other (keeping the blue and yellow separate). Some duct tape along the division lines on both inside and out should help too. The two coats, white and then yellow should cover and fill fabric weaves well.

We used to use latex paint on really large signs on fabric and canvas drop cloths and although a little stiff, the fabric still had flexibility. Flat paint is best, as it tends to look like the normal fabric, instead of having a sheen.

And a test run on some similar fabric would be a great idea though, before commitment to the jacket.

Posts: 6884 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post