All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  TV Shows  Hop To Forums  Run My Renovation    Removing ledge from basement
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Removing ledge from basement Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have ledge coming into my basement that is in cased in concrete, i would like to have it removed or at least brought back more towards the foundation but am afraid it will cause problems with the foundation. I need to make a bedroom in the basement for myself as I have family moving in. I could really use the space the ledge and concert are taking up.
        Any ideas appreciated

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Not. Going. To. Happen.

That ledge is there for a structural reason - could be the top of a footer, or a thicker part of the foundation but it is not going to go away. Your only options are to either box around it or pull the upper part of the wall out to the same plane as the ledge - neither choice will give you any extra room. But short of spending thousands rebuilding your foundation, that ledge is not going anywhere.

Jaybee

Posts: 10454 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        build a bench over it with some nice wood. I would hesitate to recommend a storage cabinet, because foundation stuff could weep a little, and promote mold. then it looks like a feature, not a bug.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5832 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post