All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Cleaning    Cleaning Cast Iron Stove
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Cleaning Cast Iron Stove Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have a commercial gas stove/oven that has cast iron burners - not just the burner rings, the actual burners as well. They are clean but have dulled over time. I'd like to get them back to a nice black finish, but all the tips I've read are for burner rings that can be removed, oiled, and baked in the oven. I'd have to dismantle the whole stove to get the burners out. So... has anyone else found a way to get iron back to a nice finish in this situation? Thanks!!

Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        This sounds like a good question to pose on the Mother Earth forum! Seriously, I wonder how many people still have cast iron stoves. I would think they'd be rare and expensive (as I discovered when I skimmed the last article referenced below).

I did find a few sites that might help, although they're primarily for restoration. Still, the polishing aspect might help you with your project.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/h...storation-28801.html. This one isn't on point but perhaps you can adapt the instructions.

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-cl...n-stove-5089757.html

And as I suspected, Mother Earth News does have some information. Begin with the second page and the section "How to Restore Old Stoves".

http://www.motherearthnews.com...w.aspx#axzz2PXVrLNgX

This sounds like a big, big project.

If none of these helps, Google "cast iron stoves, restoration". I got a lot of hits. Perhaps some of them might be of more help.

Good luck.

Just out of curiosity, do you use this in a restaurant?

Posts: 1737 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi Garden Sprite (I like that name, btw),
        This actually a commercial Garland stainless steel unit with cast iron burner rings and burner inserts. So it's not the whole thing that needs sprucing up, just the burners. There is no dirt or rust, it's just that the iron is fading and lost its luster. I will check out the Mother Earth article and see what they suggest. Thanks very much for your help!

Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I have a better idea now of what kind of stove you have. Does it look something like this, which according to the description has cast iron burners and top grate?

http://www.centralrestaurant.c...vens-c181p15448.html

That's quite a stove! I would love the double ovens.

I'm wondering if contacting Garland directly would help? This obviously isn't a company that makes stoves and ships them to big box stores for mass marketing but rather one that's in business for the long term and provides a higher level of support for its products than do the manufacturers of home use stoves.

I would also think that there would be someone at Garland who could address the sprucing up issue. Seems to me that since the oven is a commercial one, there would be better long term support than what might be available for ovens just for home use.

I would LOVE a stove like that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1737 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I suspect their parts department has a cleaner and blackener that they can refer you to. the old "wire brush the devil and rub on bear fat and shoe polish" survivalist ideas are not relevant to commercial heat burners that are supposed to stay blackened. they may be porcelainized, in which case you are left with lemon juice for soaking and baking soda for wiping with a sponge.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5490 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post