All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Cleaning    water stains
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

water stains Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have a rough cedar plank living room wall and ceiling. Roof leaked and left black watermarks on walls and ceiling. How do you remove the stains from the walls and ceiling?

Posts: 3 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Sanding the surface would be a first step if it were mine. The ceiling may be an issue due to the rain water possibly soaking through from the top side, but I would give it a try anyway.

Oxalic acid is a wood bleach that may also work if applied and allowed to soak into the black area, but may also create it's own streaking or changes in the wood tone.
        Consider possibly re-staining the walls and ceiling?

Curious? Did you possibly have an insurance claim on the roof, as this issue may be covered under that claim.

Posts: 6865 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Should have but didnt. Sanding seems impossible cause entire treatment is rough unfinished. may have stain on wood

Posts: 3 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Dennis58:
        I have a rough cedar plank living room wall and ceiling. Roof leaked and left black watermarks on walls and ceiling. How do you remove the stains from the walls and ceiling?

What kind of roof do you have, and what have you tried so far?

I'd try scraping that discoloured area with a sharp paint scraper to see if the discolouration is entirely on the surface or has been absorbed into the wood.

If it's just on the surface, which I suspect it is, I'd use a brush or scraper to remove as much as possible.

If it's a shingle roof, then the black discolouration may be deteriorated asphalt from the shingles. In that case, I'd try using a Magic Eraser damp with paint thinner (aka: mineral spirits) to remove the rest from the surface of the wood.

If it's a flat roof, then that dark discolouration may just be ordinary dirt (that is, mud from rotting leaves and such). In that case, I'd brush or scrape as much off the surface as possible, and then use a Magic Eraser damp with a mild acid (like CLR) to remove more from the rough surface of the wood.

I don't know how rough your cedar is, so I don't know if it's even feasible to clean the surface of that wood with a Magic Eraser. If not, remove as much as you can with the scraper or dry scrub brush first, and then try spraying some mineral spirits or mild acid onto the surface and brushing again. Then, blot with a paper towel to absorb the liquid (and the dirt suspended in it).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nestor,

Posts: 1090 | Location: Winnipeg | Registered: Aug 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Nestor, had to chuckle when I read your suggestion of a Mr Clean Magic eraser on rough cedar wood.
        The thing wears out too quickly on smooth formica or stainless steel, just wet with water! Razz

Now a "sanding sponge" block is a whole different animal. I use these all the time when refinishing smooth wood. Wink

Posts: 6865 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Nestor:
        I don't know how rough your cedar is, so I don't know if it's even feasible to clean the surface of that wood with a Magic Eraser.

Posts: 1090 | Location: Winnipeg | Registered: Aug 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post

Posts: 18004 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Mix a solution of three parts water and one part bleach in the container. Apply the solution with a large sponge and scrub away any mold. After 20 minutes, rinse the spot with a clean sponge and dry it with paper towels.

window board up nj

This message has been edited. Last edited by: melijack,

Posts: 9 | Registered: Aug 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Water stains can remove by various natural cleaners. Vinegar is the best natural product and effective cleaner also. Take half vinegar and half water in spray bottle. Now spray the mixture, wherever it is required and leave it for 5-10mins and then wipe and clean.

flood cleanup service

Damage Restoration Smoke chicago

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kristoffersava,

Posts: 11 | Registered: Aug 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Yes Vinegar is very effective in cleaning stains. You can also use Lemon juice or lime water. All three of these contain citric acid in them, and it is actually that acid due to which stains get removed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Magdalene123,

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I have been polishing wood with three parts olive oil and one part white vinegar and it works for me. I also found some other cleaning tips in http://www.themaidsofdc.com/cl...house-cleaning-tips/ and http://www.care2.com/greenlivi...ic-cleaning-kit.html.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Mar 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Well, before doing any repairs for your walls and ceiling, you must first fix the cause of the problem. Make sure you have the roof sealed where it is leaking. Smile This will prevent any future damages.

Moving on, you need to mix one part of bleach and three parts of water in a container. Dip a sponge in the solution and scrub all residue in the wall/ceiling.Leave it there for around 30 minutes then rinse it off with a clean sponge and dry it out with paper towels.

Then, you must apply a stain-blocking primer to cover the area. You can also repaint the area afterwards to make it look new. -N.S.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nica_s,

Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post