All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Cleaning    Cleaning built up grease off the inside of a pan
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Cleaning built up grease off the inside of a pan Sign In/Join 
        Picture of fuzzypeach
        posted
        Hi all! I'm sure this question has come up, but I can't find it on this board recently. I've got a non stick grill pan that has a serious build up of vegetable oil that will not wash off. It's sort of congealed. I'm not sure how it got so bad. What is the best way to get rid of it short of throwing away the pan?

"Your work is only as good as your concentra...hey look! A cloud shaped like Snoopy!"

Posts: 1840 | Location: Minneola, Florida | Registered: May 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        You might try baking soda first; dust it over the grease, then wipe it up. It will probably require a few attempts before you can get all the grease off.

You might also try wiping as much of the grease off first with a paper towel moistened with hot water and detergent.

These methods work for me.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of fuzzypeach
        posted Hide Post
        I've got a layer of baking soda on it. I'm letting it sit for a little bit, then will try wiping & washing. I'll let you know how it works. Thanks for the suggestion & have a groovy day! Cool

Also, I'm going to pour the baking soda into the sink & add vinegar! That's probably going to be the most exciting thing that happens today! Yeah, I lead a sad, boring life.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fuzzypeach,

"Your work is only as good as your concentra...hey look! A cloud shaped like Snoopy!"

Posts: 1840 | Location: Minneola, Florida | Registered: May 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I'd have started with an orange cleaner, myself.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5723 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Swschrad, are you referring to a commercial orange cleaner or just a regular old orange squeezed of its juice?

Your comment reminds me that citrus fruits are degreasers, so lemon juice might work as well.

Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Straight sudsy ammonia works wonders on greasy grill grates and pans. Just use it undiluted to cover the build up, seal it in a black plastic trash bag and set it in the hot sun. Allow it to sit and work overnight also and it will clean off easily the next morning.

Posts: 6884 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Conrad, doesn't that concentrate the ammonia and create an overwhelmingly powerful odor when you eventually open the bag?

Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        It certainly can be a strong odor inside the bag, so that is why I have always done this outdoors on the driveway or patio. But strong is good, when dealing with the greasy mess.
        I actually will use the garden hose to wash out the first residue, then take it indoors and do the final clean in the sink.

Posts: 6884 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I would try using T.S.P. which is a degreaser. however , I don't know what would happen to the non-stick surface if you used a too strong solution.
        As an aside. another use for ammonia if you have critters getting into your garbage, is to sprinkle a little in with the garbage, the critters will stay away. Been using this for many years and have not had a raid on our garbage since

Posts: 2535 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Ammonia does not damage teflon or other non stick surfaces, even when used straight as I have done many times on grill pans/surfaces.
        But TSP can be a great surface degreaser too, I have just found ammonia to work well for this sort of issue in the past.

They are both in my personal cleaning arsenal.

Picture of fuzzypeach
        posted Hide Post
        I coated the bottom of the pan with baking soda & let it set for a little while. Then I used one of those handy dandy square scrapy things to scrape the grease build up areas. It worked a lot better than just scraping it. I got most of it off but right in the center is a ring that it almost like it's burned on. I'll try the ammonia trick. I think I have come here.
        Also I'll try sprinkling some on the ground at the side of my house. There is an area where armadillos dig for some reason. I don't mind them & in fact I think they are interesting animals but they get awful close to digging a hole between at the corner of the house & the fence. I don't want my little dog to escape through it.

Picture of fuzzypeach
        posted Hide Post
        The ammonia I had is the regular kind, not the fun sudsy type. I'm trying it anyway.

Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Yep, should work the same as a degreaser.

posted Hide Post
        orange cleaner has a concentrate of the orange peel oil as one of the active ingredients. in some cases, the only ingredient. it cuts crud well. warning, danger, fattening, etc... this has some acidity, do not mix with ammonia.

first got introduced to the stuff in the hospital, when we changed out the chlorinated petrochemical in the cleaning barrel with a material called CitroSolv, which was orange oil in stoddard solvent. that cut the crud off nasty old motor windings and stators like magic. when orange oil cleaners got on the market, they were too strong for household cleaning straight. there are now sprays that are good for typical household stuff, and concentrated bottles for heavier use.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

Posts: 5723 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        I have that in the garage too. Orange cleaner is a good product, I agree. Like the smell too, also Orange oil for furniture.

On the citrus line, Citra-strip really sort of s-ucked however as a paint stripper. That was found unworthy and tossed.

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Cheapskate that I am, I'm going to try just the peels from an orange to see how it works.

posted Hide Post
        heh, eat the orange, drop the peels. been there, done that. took forever to kill the ants.

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by swschrad:
        heh, eat the orange, drop the peels. been there, done that. took forever to kill the ants.

Okay, next step is to consider is distillation of the essential oils. Actually, oranges are more expensive now that they're going out of season so maybe that's a project to put off until oranges are cheaper again.

posted Hide Post
        oranges in general are going to get more expensive as a bacterial citrus canker is chewing up the groves. no cure. if you think of one, you're the next multi-billionnaire success story, call the Florida Citrus Commission, collect.

posted Hide Post
        Ammonia works great for any cooked on grease. I use it on my stove (hubby is a great cook, but very messy!). I soak paper towels with ammonia and then cover with a large trash bag. Leave it for a few hours and the grease wipes right off.

Posts: 2488 | Registered: Apr 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post