All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Cleaning    Burned & Rusted Cast Iron Pot
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Burned & Rusted Cast Iron Pot Sign In/Join 
        posted
        My tenants moved out and left some items amoung them a cast iron dutch oven in terrible shape. I would like to salvage it if possible. It has food caked and burned all over it and rustd badly also. Does anyone have suggestions on making this usable.

Thanks

Posts: 33 | Location: Florida | Registered: Feb 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        i found an old badly rusted iron pot made in usa way back when. i took a 5 gallon bucket put 4 gallons of white vinegar in it put the pot in make sure it completely submerged put on a bucket lidd and put it in the basement for 10 days.after thati used a brush with steel brissels removed as much as possible of the rust and returned the pot into the bucket for an other 10 days.it worked like a charm.before you are going to use it you have to season it CRISCO is great for this. google cast iron pot seasoning and you find instruction for that.i did mine on the outdoor gas grill so not to stink up the house.i use this pot at least once a week.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: beers1,

Posts: 763 | Registered: Oct 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for your response. I've heard vinegar is good to treat rust so this is a good suggestion. Thanks

Posts: 33 | Location: Florida | Registered: Feb 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        I did not know this about vinegar.
        Thanks for asking the question and thanks for the info beers1!
        Awesome!

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Depending on how bad it is corroded, you might want to find a place to have it media blasted. That will take it back to the base metal and after that, normal care should be sufficient so it lasts for many years.

Posts: 841 | Location: Rogers City, MI | Registered: Sep 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I've used baking soda with just enough water to make it into a paste on various pots and pans, but I don't recall if I've ever used it on a cast iron pot.

As has Beers, I've also used white vinegar. I've read the lemon juice has cleaning properties but haven't tried it on pans.

Good luck. It's too bad your tenants were so inconsiderate.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1949 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        i found a old rusty dutch oven also
        the best way, and the way recomended by griswald
        is to put the dutch oven in the oven at 400 degrees plus
        bake for 2 hrs
        take out and with a wire brush or a grinder with a wire brush clean it
        using lard or crisco NOT veg oil
        coat the cast iron with it
        put back in oven at 350 for 45 minutes
        remove
        wipe excess oil off
        do NOT wash ol off
        your pot is now seasoned and ready to cook in
        when you use dutch oven, always..after cooking and washing, coat with crisco/lard bake, wipe off
        this will keep it seasoned
        your old cast fry pans, treat this way also
        if you dont want that old dutch oven
        I'll take it!!!as is dirty food and all
        and i'll pay the shipping

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

Posts: 4089 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for the info Frodo but I will keep it. Its the perfect size for me and I look forward to getting it in usable shape. I've bought 2 gallons of vinegar to try Beer's suggestion and will follow with your suggestion of seasoning it.

posted Hide Post
        use CRISCO to season the put. if you can find any information as to why and who invented CRISCO you will understand my recomandation...

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        responding to old post...fyi
        in wally world in the camping section there are dutch oven liners, insert liner, cook, then throw away liner
        helps with clean up

Posts: 4089 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Frodo, of what material are these liners made? Are they plastic?

posted Hide Post
        The ones I've seen are made of Parchment paper.

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-A5...Liners/dp/B0073E1O6U

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sparky617,

Posts: 874 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        In Scouts we'll line them with heavy duty foil when doing Dutch Oven Cobblers. If the foil leaks, which is especially a problem when piecing together regular foil, getting foil off of the Dutch oven after being glued in place with sugar from the fruit in the cobber can be a challenge. Especially if you don't have any left over heat from the charcoal to heat up the water.

Cleaning Dutch ovens is pretty easy, fill it with water, heat it, use wadded up aluminum foil to scrub anything that is stuck. Dump the water, dry it, rub it down with oil and reheat. The last step isn't required every time you use it. Never, ever use soap to clean cast iron. If you do, it will definitely need to be seasoned again.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 874 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Sparky, are you aware that the issue of toxic effects from cooking with aluminum foil is still unresolved? At one time, it was considered that foil might contribute to development of Alzheimers. Although I've read that theory has been discredited, there are still some concerns over studies done in the Middle East:

http://www.thenational.ae/news...rosis-and-alzheimers

http://www.albawaba.com/editor...e-alzheimers-425441v

It's hard to credit or discredit this work without doing a more extensive search for studies done elsewhere, as it may be that the source of the manufactured foil may be an issue (especially if it comes from a certain Pacific Rim country).

Just FYI.

Parchment, on the other hand, has been used in cooking for years. I haven't found any sources I consider credible as to whether or not it has side effects. Not saying it does or it doesn't; I just haven't found sources I consider reputable.

posted Hide Post
        i never had a problem cleaning my cast iron pot after using it no matter how much food is stuck on it.all i do is use our prewash appliance she has 4 feet and along tounge also a waggy tail. than i rinse it and put on the burner on hot. no need to use stuff that you pay for than dispose of it in the land fill.not very eco friendly..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: beers1,

posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Sparky617:
        In Scouts we'll line them with heavy duty foil when doing Dutch Oven Cleaners brisbane Cobblers. If the foil leaks, which is especially a problem when piecing together regular foil, getting foil off of the Dutch oven after being glued in place with sugar from the fruit in the cobber can be a challenge. Especially if you don't have any left over heat from the charcoal to heat up the water.

Cleaning Dutch Oven Cleaning gold coast is pretty easy, fill it with water, heat it, use wadded up aluminum foil to scrub anything that is stuck. Dump the water, dry it, rub it down with oil and reheat. The last step isn't required every time you use it. Never, ever use soap to clean cast iron. If you do, it will definitely need to be seasoned again.

Thanks for sharing this vital information..I have opened a new pizza restaurant and worried about cleaning the Dutch oven perfectly..now I will try to use your mentioned technique and hope it works

This message has been edited. Last edited by: carpetcleaninggc,

Posts: 6 | Registered: Aug 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        i have 3 dutch ovens 8 cast iron skillets and 1 roaster,,, all of them get the oil treatment after use. hint....at walmart in the camping section there are dutch oven liners . perfict for lining when you camp.
        a well seasoned cast iron is better than any non stick you can buy

when making corn bread, preheat skillet with oil in it before adding mix

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,