All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Cleaning    Toilet bowl hard water stains
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Toilet bowl hard water stains Sign In/Join 
        posted
        House is 2 years old, community well serving 125 homes.
        Had the water tested by 2 different firms, both results consistent at a Hardness of 7GPG, pH at 6.7 and 0 Iron content. Installed a Watts ScaleNet tank, with a carbon fiber filter in front of it. In spite of that, all the toilet bowls have staining. I wouldn't call it rust, more like a residue stain from the water filling the bowl after flushing. Tried several cleaners, CLR, Goof-Off and other homemade concoctions. Nothing works. The odd thing is that there is no staining in any of the porcelain sinks. Any ideas?

Posts: 45 | Registered: Aug 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Here's a link to a few other posts on cleaning toilet stains. They may not be specific to hard water stains but perhaps they'll help.

http://boards.diynetwork.com/e...rum_scope=1921916776

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        sounds like iron bacteria staining, try a sodium bisulfate cleaner in the toilets. I will warn you, if there are any asthmatics in the house, this will clog 'em up reall good.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5811 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        We have occasionally had the streaking from the sides/fill ports. I just use a wet pumice stone (Pumie is a common brand at hardware/some grocery stores cleaning isle). Cleaned it right off. Important to keep the surface and stone wet, so you can better see your progress. Might use a spray bottle with just water.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        When the last time the tank was cleaned?
        I use a product called "The Works" and a prumus stone.
        Any Dollar store or Wal-Mart carry's The Works.
        Super strong stuff.

joecaption

Posts: 18032 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I'd also suspect galvanized pipes except that the home is only 2 yrs old. Bar keepers friend would work well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vinny186,

Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I have the SAME problem; NEW White; TOTO Toilet; water stains, after the
        bowl fills up; leaves a hard water ring; Do this; Get a Scotch brite
        green pad, Wear rubber gloves; and USE COMET POWDER and scrub!!
        or: Use the scotchguard + CLR and rub the hell outta it!!! comes off.

Posts: 229 | Location: Chelsea, New York | Registered: Mar 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        If it is just the hard water ring you are removing? I have found a pumice stone works just as well, no need to get your hands in the water (just dip the end of the stone/stick) and it scrapes it right off. And no chemicals are needed.Wink

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        things that are not normally talked about.....
        Hemorrhoid bleeding
        Menstrual cycles

Some infections
        http://www.livestrong.com/arti...se-stools-in-adults/

Posts: 885 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        sb

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5811 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post