All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Cleaning    Cleaning car stains
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Cleaning car stains Sign In/Join 
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted
        I've been unable to clean what appeared to be simple dirt stains from clothing that comes in contact with the bumper of my car. It's painted in a metallic color to match the rest of the car. This is the first time I've had a bumper that's painted and the first time I've been unable to remove the stains it causes.

Despite pre-staining and trying 2 different kinds of detergents, these apparent simple dirt stains won't come out.

Is there something unique about metallic paint on cars that creates permanent dirt stains on clothes? This bumper is ruining my wardrobe.

Posts: 1741 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        shouldn't be. try a little Stoddard solvent on a rag against the bumper, aka tar remover. you might be picking up road asphalt, brake dust, or other crud that is needing a cleaning. brake dust is a combination of rust and burned ceramic. an oxalic acid or CLR soak would remove this.

the flex additive in bumper paint is still supposed to keep the paint on the bumper. it won't dust off like flat house paint.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5497 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        [QUOTE]Originally posted by swschrad:

you might be picking up road asphalt, brake dust, or other crud that is needing a cleaning.

QUOTE]

Given that this is once again the Orange and White Barrel Season, that's a distinct possibility.

Seriously, thanks for the suggestions. I've just been using soap and water on the bumper but it hasn't worked.

Posts: 1741 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Sounds really strange about those stains. Maybe they did permanent damage to the bumper?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        fresh asphalt on a light colored paint surface might leave a little discoloration. just like tromping across a new driveway will mess up any vinyl flooring in the entry.

the issue here seemed to be material transfer to the clothing, and that's why I'm thinking dusts. brake dust rust is the devil to wash out, oxidizers (bleach, Oxy, Tide To Go, etc.) makes it worse. the dryer will set the stain. you have to pre-treat with oxalic acid to dissolve and flush it away. rhubarb leaves will work in a pinch.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5497 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post