All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Cleaning    Bathroom cleaning
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Bathroom cleaning Sign In/Join 
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted
        We've had some discussions about various methods to clean bathtub areas. Given that I've been pleasantly surprised at the effectiveness of liquid Tide, I'm going to put some in a spray bottle, spray it on, then wash it off.

I've tried this in a few areas and found it much, much, much easier than scrubbing. Easier on the arms and especially on the back. It seems to loosen the grime so it can be removed easier.

I'll let you know how it works on the tougher stains.

Also bumping spam.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        So would this the regular, liquid Tide or the HE Tide?

One of our tubs has been refinished, so I am careful as to what types of cleaners that I use on it. Usually just Scrubbing Bubbles and that has worked okay, as they told me do not use anything that says "do not use on painted surfaces".

Posts: 6884 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Conrad, I've only used the Original Tide. I'm note even sure I've seen any HE Tide in the stores here.

The label does say that it contains no phosphate, and also recommends that the HE variety be used with a HE washer (which I don't think I have - I bought it decades ago and don't remember that it had any kind of claim to being high efficiency.)

I'm using it on the ceramic tiles and bathtub which I suspect are original to the house, built in 1950.

Actually this post was more of a spam bump, but I have done a little experimenting with Tide on the ceramic tile and it made a tremendous difference is loosening up the grime.

I'm going to try it on the cultured marble sink as well, as it's getting more difficult to keep clean as it ages.

Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks!
        I recall the discussion here, but did not pay that much attention. Then saw today that Tide was sold as both types. Will try a small bottle of the regular Tide for this purpose, and give it a shot. Wink

Posts: 6884 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Conrad, I'd be interested in learning how/if it works for you.

Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Will let you know, for sure. Wink

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        w3as told years ago, by the cultured marble installer guy..car wax the marble 1 x a year...keep it from getting fadded/dull
        maybe i need to be waxed!

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Frodo, I use a product called Gel Gloss on Formica counters and marble.
        Comes in a pink can for 5-6 dollars at hardware and home stores in the cleaning dept. It does the job as a cleaner and wax on Formica, real and cultured marble, stainless steel and fiberglass. You apply it like a car wax, allow it to dry to a haze and buff it off with a dry cloth. It leaves the surface shiney, slick and makes water bead up and not streak and leave spots.

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I've never heard of waxing cultured marble but maybe it's worth a try. This particular sink is probably around 30 years old and is showing what look like cracks but really aren't cracks in that they're not open. It's as if a razor had been used to cut the surface, but didn't penetrate beyond the top layer. And there are no real splits, just marks. Weird.

I'll have to try the Gel Gloss, although I think once these little streaks are there that it's more of a repair than maintenance job. Still, as long as there are no leaks, which there aren't, I've got other things to worry about more than the sink. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        The crazing (or visible cracks in the surface) are not uncommon around the drain area in some cultured marble. Temperature shock can be one cause of it there, by running really hot water down a cold drain or vice versa.
        Don't think there is any true fix for it, but a new vanity top with sink might be worthy after 30 years...if it bothers you.

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Conrad, that must be what's happening to my sink. I did some quick research and found some DIY solutions, which I've bookmarked for later review.

I also found reference to waxing the sink, as well as the combination of hot and cold water stressing the surface.

As I recall, I didn't see these cracks until I started pouring boiling water down the drain to keep it clear. Guess that was a really bad idea. Frown

Thanks for the info.

posted Hide Post
        cultured marble is plastic.

plastic doesn't really like being thermally uncomfortable.

it is probably a polyester resin with silica filler, like the outer skin of a boat. they craze (little bitty cracks all over) from flex, thermal shock, and UV exposure. the boat guys end up putting another gel coat over the hull after some number of years. a good coat of Turtle Wax every season helps cut down the damage and limits water fouling, which is algae and stuff that grows in the crazing.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5722 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Well, henrylarry6, thank you for my laugh of the day. Spreading Tide all around the bathroom is one of the least logical and most ridiculous and worthless ideas I've heard. Obviously you haven't even used Tide or you wouldn't be making such an inappropriate recommendation.

And acid? Are you kidding? The only thing that would accomplish is eliminating the floor.

By the way, your spamming days are over.

Picture of SpaPartsPlace
        posted Hide Post
        Dusting the fans and vents is a vital step in bathroom cleaning. You should clean the exterior of the fans and vents with a cleanser or solution mixed with water and wipe the dirt away using an unsoiled cloth. Fixtures inside the bathroom should be detached, washed and dried before placing them back.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        uh, Frodo, that's not what they mean by getting yourself waxed. you hunk, you Wink

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5722 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post