All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Cleaning    Just in time for the spring ants...
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Just in time for the spring ants... Sign In/Join 
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted
        Once again tiny little ants are exploring the backsplash of my kitchen counter and environs.

Last year I wiped them out with one application of the old standby of 20 mule team Borax and sugar dissolved in water. But this year the Borax is a year older and doesn't dissolve as well, so it clogs the spray tube of the Dollar Store sprayers.

Rubbing alcohol used to be somewhat effective, initially immobilizing the ants, but they eventually recovered and continued on their exploratory journeys.

Tide has proven to be helpful in various nonclothing cleaning applications in the past so I sprayed them with the Tide I keep in a sprayer to clean the bathtub, and it worked, instantly.

Tide stopped them dead in their tracks, and they're still where they were when I zapped them several hours ago.

I don't know if other laundry detergents or even dish soap would work, but I do plan to try something less costly than Tide. Still, it's good to know it works.

And BTW, I don't have any financial or other interest in Tide, don't even own any stock, so I have no stake in recommending its use.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1929 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        ants are another bug with an aversion to soap. I suspect Dawn or whatever else is handy would also take them out.

if you buy detergent in 55-gallon drums to mix with farm chemicals, it's called ajutant, and increases the effectiveness. breaks down the light wax layer on most leaves.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5823 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        55 gallon drums of detergent? That would last me probably for the rest of my lifetime!

I will try cheaper versions of soap now that I know that is apparently the ingredient that's offensive to the ants. Thanks for the suggestion.

Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Just go buy some Terro ant bait.
        First day there will be hundreds of them eating it up, within a week there all gone for good.

joecaption

Posts: 18032 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Joe, I wish I had had the success you've had with Terro. I used it over an almost year long period for ants in the bedroom, but it certainly did not act as fast as your Terro did. The ants eventually just disappeared over a 2 day period once the spring rains began. And coincidentally, the past year was a dry one.

As to the existing ants, they're in the kitchen so I'm very careful about what I use. At least the detergent sticks to the backsplash and kills them before they can crawl over the counter. With Terro, they'd be bringing the bait back to the nest, through who knows what routes? I don't want them exploring dishes or anything else before they die. I've gone through several months of washing everything immediately before it's used and don't want to do it again.

But thanks for the suggestions.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

posted Hide Post
        there are (or have been, I need to go shopping for some) Raid ant baits similar to Terro but with a little overhead spike that holds them in place.

Posts: 5823 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I spray around the the outside of my house. I got a gallon pump applicator of Black Flag Home Insect Control. Your post has prompted me to do my spring lap around the house.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 861 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I also use the Terro and within 2 days their gone.
        They have the bigger baits for outside the house use. I take some chicken wire and make a little cage around the bait, drive in 2 stakes so my fur kid doesn't get a hold of it.

Posts: 888 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        folks, when it comes to sprays, think of the bees. experiments published just this week confirm that neonicotinoids wipe out bee colonies like flamethrowers. read the label, there are 8 neonics that have really taken over the industry, and we are at a tipping point for bees.

google, and do not buy ANY neonic products. look for items like Permethrin, borates, and Sevin carbonyl, which when used safely when the bees are not around are not the plague.

posted Hide Post
        swschrad....
        Will that work on those killer bees.?

Posts: 888 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Find one ant, direct it into a circle. Wait for them to run their little legs off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prjhQcqiGQc

Jaybee

Posts: 10430 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Looks like I have a new method for killing ants.

I'll put sugar in the center of the circle to attract the ants but separate it in some protective casing so the ants can't get to it. Maybe one of those little rotating wheels that mice and rats perform in would work. The ants could chase the sugar indefinitely until they die of exhaustion.

Cheaper than borax or Terro.