All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Windows, Walls & Doors    Best Sliding Door For Extreme Weather
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Best Sliding Door For Extreme Weather Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I live on the coast with a north facing front (currently getting blasted by another Nor'Easter). My home is 14 years old, I GC'd its construction, and it was done right. I have high end Anderson windows and doors. On my second floor I have a slider - north facing - that has leaked for the last several years. This summer I removed the siding and trim, and resealed everything, checked flashing, etc. I used elastomeric caulk and even sealed the stationary panel. The door continues to leak. Water forms on the inside of the room in the threshold channel. I am fairly certain it is coming from the seal at the bottom of the movable panel. Two questions: Fixes for existing situation? What is the best slider out there for leak resistance in a nasty coastal environment - I see 30-40 on the nose quite often - with rain that get pushed through everywhere.

Posts: 2 | Location: Ocean City MD | Registered: Feb 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        The problem is putting the words 'slider' and 'leak-proof' in the same sentence.

There are cheap sliders and expensive sliders and generally you will get what you pay for. But I don't know of any that will stay sealed under the conditions that you have. The nature of a sliding door requires that the bottom will have a slight gap to allow the door to travel. Good quality sliders can use all kinds of track drains and flexible flashings, but drive enough water up against it or have snow pile up and melt - and it's going to leak.

You just can't get the same type of tight seal that comes with a hinged style door.

Which would be my recommendation: Unless you have no room for the door swing, get a French or Atrium style door unit. If need be, they can swing in or out.

Jaybee

Posts: 10454 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I should think a swing-out would be a door that gets trapped by snow or ice.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5832 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks. I was always under the assumption that a slider actually sealed better than a French door. I do have the room and would like to switch - certainly if that is a better alternative. Again, any particulars in the design that helps? Manufacturers? I have a nice Anderson in the rear, also 14 years old, that ahs a final latching mechanism that locks the door on the jam. Is this common? Any better than others. What I get for living at the beach - nice days are beautiful and the bad ones are really bad.
        Skip

Posts: 2 | Location: Ocean City MD | Registered: Feb 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        When it's installed do it right and use a sill seal, no more leaking inside.
        Google "jamb sill"

joecaption

Posts: 18036 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post

Posts: 18036 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I think you can search for some doors options from Casa Loma company. I purchashed my wooden entry door from them and I'm satisfied with the quality. I have no problems with draft and the door never deforms because of humidity.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: J.Castro,

Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post