All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Windows, Walls & Doors    There is not a big enough gap between the bottom of the exterior door and threshold
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

There is not a big enough gap between the bottom of the exterior door and threshold Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hi, I have an issue that I am having trouble figuring out. I have an old door that is 31 1/2 inches wide. I can’t figure out who made it. I want to weatherstrip the bottom of the door but the threshold is too high and it is not adjustable, rather I cannot raise it or lower it. The threshold and the sill is one aluminum piece. I can’t insert weather stripping inside the bottom of the door because half the door (facing the outside) has a metal barrier (and correct me if I am wrong but it seems that these types of weatherstrip are proprietary to the maker of the door). I tried to add a multi-finned vinyl door bottom and a Pile and Vinyl door bottom. There is not a big enough gap between the door and the threshold to attach either of them and have the door shut properly. I thought about raising the door but the hinges are inset within the door frame and there is the issue that I would have to re-drill holes that would be too close to the original holes. So I thought of replacing the threshold.

My first question: Does the threshold/sill come in a standard size (width, height, length)? I wanted to know before I tear it out and find out I can’t replace it.

My second question: Is the former question a good solution or does anyone have a better idea?

Please see attached pictures.

My Door and threshold

Posts: 11 | Registered: Sep 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        the weather-stripping should go on the vertical part of the threshold (looks to be about 1/2 inch wide ) and make contact with the inside bottom face of the door

Posts: 2540 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        So are you saying add this Brush Door Sweep to the threshold. I've attached an image to show what I think you mean. Correct me if I am wrong.

posted Hide Post
        How about cutting the bottom off the door a little, then add a weatherstrip commonly used for the bottom of a door. Click here: door weatherstrip link

Replacing the threshold is not a good idea.
        Lifting the door at the hinges is not a good idea.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

Posts: 957 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Re-milr if I cut off the bottom of the door and add the weatherstrip will this compromise the integrity of the door i.e. water/weather proof, energy efficiency etc.

Thanks for your advise.

posted Hide Post
        Your original post said there is not enough room for this kind of weather seal -- it is common to have to cut the bottom of the door, depending on what is there now, and I don't see a picture to show what is there now. If you remove what is now there, will that leave enough room to add a new weather seal??

But, cutting the door a little won't hurt the integrity of the door (just don't cut too much off or the new weather seal won't work -- and it is somewhat adjustable).

Trying to lift the door at the hinges will hurt the integrity though, and cutting out that threshold and adding a new one will also do more damage than it is worth.

I have no idea what is on the bottom of your existing door now, but it should be something like the weather seal that is on the link I provided at my earlier post. Some of them have visible external screws, some are glued or stapled or nailed on from the bottom, and some have 'cuts' in the bottom of the door to allow for a ridge to fit in that comes on the new piece. It's hard for me sitting here to figure out what someone else's handyman work might have been. And some of them have a removable and replaceable rubber sleeve. But my favorite of the after-market seals would be like the one I provided the link for.

Posts: 957 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        So I ended up using a circular saw to cut the bottom of the door with a blade meant for cutting steal (lots of sparks, make sure you are some place where a fire won't start kids). After I did this about an inch of metal parts inside the bottom of the door came out (looks like it was used to hold the old weatherstrip). I filled the bottom of the door with a piece of R10 FOAMULAR 250 Rigid Foam Insulation. I liquid nailed it in and let it set. Then I put the door back on the hinges, applied caulk to the bottom weatherstrip and screwed it into the bottom of the door. Win, we are good to go.

The only problem I had was that when I used the circular saw it scratched the door on both sides when it went across. No big deal on this project since we plan to replace the door at some point. However, I have to do this to another door.

Any ideas as to how I can keep the circular saw from scratching the door surface??? Thanks

posted Hide Post
        I'm not sure what scratches you are talking about on both sides -- if it is scratches from the base of the circular saw, then place masking tape on the base before cutting, and make sure all surfaces are clean.

posted Hide Post
        seeing as how you already cut the door, my response is moot. But ,what I meant was to get a bulb type seal, which would have a " P " type profile with some sort of adhesive on the verticle part of the bottom part of the "P " removed ( or, perhaps looking like the letter "O " with one side flattened and an adhesive on the flat part

Posts: 2540 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks everyone for you replies. Much appreciated. The scratches were form the base (I think they call it the shoe) of the circular saw. Besides masking take someone told me that wide painters tape works. Wish I had known before I crapped up my door. But like I said, eventually we have plans to replace that ugly door. I still need to shorten a door I have in my basement so I will take with me all that I have learned from this forum. Take Care.