All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Windows, Walls & Doors    Load-bearing wall?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Load-bearing wall? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hey, everyone. I'd like to remove a section of wall between my living room and kitchen, and I'm not sure if the section is load-bearing or not. Are there any easy ways to tell, or do I need to hire a professional? Here's a picture of the section of wall I want to remove (highlighted in red).

Wall Picture

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Mar 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You hire a pro. Even with a good description of what you have or pictures the best anyone here can do is give you a 'probable' answer. That's not good enough for possible structural changes.

Find yourself somebody local with some structural knowledge and have them take a look firsthand.

BTW - You picture requires log-in information to view.

Jaybee

Posts: 10478 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        there are some general rules, but they go out the window if folks did silly things like relocate walls off the point load supports, chop up a real load-bearing long wall with a bunch of little crosswise walls, etc.

the Internet is blameless. you want somebody responsible to make the right decision, you want a local guy who might even punch a couple holes to make sure he's not going to tell you wrong.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5849 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SpaPartsPlace
        posted Hide Post
        If you decide to remove a load-bearing wall you will need to plan for additional costs and seek professional advice. Often when considering a renovation, homeowners wonder if a particular wall in their home is a structural load-bearing wall or not.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post