DIY Message Boards
Door Will Not Remail Slightly Ajar

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1491013504/m/9153946597

Jan 02, 2014, 05:03 PM
majwendt
Door Will Not Remail Slightly Ajar
Please advise on how I can remedy the following -Our home is only 1 1/2 years old. We used to be able to open the door part way to allow air flow - heating and cooling circulation. Now the door swings open all the way. <BR><BR>Please advise on how to remedy this situation.Adjust the doorTighten or shim a hinge plate
Jan 02, 2014, 05:40 PM
swschrad
you can use a shoe as a doorstop to hold it where you want. we use an old sad iron to keep the cats from closing themselves into the bedroom.

you can put a level on the top of the door to see if it's sagged, if so, replace a screw on the top hinge with a 3-inch screw to bring it back towards level.

you can put a level on the upright jamb to see if was installed correctly, plumb straight up from top to bottom. if not, you will have to loosen any screws that penetrate the jamb, pry a little, and insert more shims, then renail. this will require cutting the nails on the other side and removing some shims to the door will shut again. it means taking all the decorative trim off both sides and reinstalling it, also.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Jan 02, 2014, 06:35 PM
Jaybee
And the old tried-and-true door trick: Pull one hinge pin. Lay it on something hard like concrete and tap it slightly with a hammer, giving is a very small bend. Then reinstall. The extra friction will keep the door from swinging.

Jaybee
Jan 02, 2014, 07:57 PM
Sparky617
If the door isn't binding or dragging and latches, I'd opt for Jaybee's way.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.